Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pilot CB Spence + observer the HON. WF Rodney

Geert Spillebeen

Hi,

Just a long shot... Would anyone be able to produce a photo of 2LT C.B.SPENCE (RFC pilot), who crashed & died together with his observer (The HON.) W.F.Rodney (Rifle Brig., attached to RFC). They died on 9 May 1915 and were buried at Choques Mil. Cemetery, N.France.

Any other info welcome. (e.g. their plane was an MF, Maurice Farman, nr. 1845 => is that a serial number, a type of MF plane? Or what is 1845?)

And another longer shot: also desperately looking for a picture of 2LT Marc (M.A.P.) NOBLE, (Royal Field Artil.), died 1 July 1917 near Ypres.

P.S.: thanks again to rflory / Dick Flory who helped me find 2 other pictures of 'fallen' lieutenants, who were former boy scouts of Brownsea Island: MC Wroughton & WF Rodney.

Greets from Flanders, Belgium

(mr) GEERT SPILLEBEEN

geert.spillebeen@euronet.be

Gilbert

I can answer the bit about the aeroplane:

The attached photo shows a Maurice Farman, in this case the MF11 version which most likely to be the type they were flying. The MF7 & 11 were pre-WW1 types that served with most Allied air services as observation aircraft until about late 1915, and as trainers for another couple of years.

1845 was almost certainly the serial number.

Adrian

post-3755-1169422842.jpg

1845 was a Morane Type L. The serial should read 1854.

1854 Maurice Farman Se.11.

Ex MF1039 (engine 42941). 3 Sqn Gonneham LIA 9.5.1915 (Lt CB Spence/2Lt the Hon WF Rodney KIA – hit by AA).

Thanks, Adrian & Mick.

I received photos of both Lieutenants in the mean time.

(Mick) : I know nothing about aeroplanes. Could you decifre these characters and numbers for me? What does it all mean in plain English? (Sorry).

You also seem to quote from certain books or reports about Rodney en Spence? Which?

And do you agree with Adrian?

Geert SPILLEBEEN, Flanders

I don't have as much information as Mick, but I can say that LIA = Lost in Action; KIA = killed in action; AA= Anti-Aircraft artillery.

42941 would be the serial number of the engine (usually, but not always, a 100hp Renault; MF 1039 will either be the manufacturer's serial number or a French Air Service serial, if 1854 was originally allocated to the French. Se11 was the British designation for the MF11.

Thank you, Lieutenant Pam! (Someone else sent me the picture already)

I have another question: I have a drawing of LT. Michael Allenby. Son of General Allenby.

Is there anything in your book about him? Or in "Bond of Sacrifice?" Lieutenant HMH Allenby (called Michael), died 29 July 1917.

Is there a photo? More details?

GEERT