Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DH2/Vert Galand - Finally Finished!

Russell Smith

Woo-Hoo!

"Release the Hounds"

I think I've been working on this one forever. I'm not sure. Anyway, compare it back to the color study ( http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=61285 ) and you'll see that I made quite a few changes to the composition - quieted the sky down, rearranged the figures on the right and deleted the guy in the right foreground.

Before the question is even asked - I'm not sure if I am going to release prints of this one or not. That's up to you guys. If I did they would be limited edition giclees on paper in the $115 range and/or giclees on canvas in the $225 range (giclees on canvas are gorgeous!). If you would like to see prints available of this, now is the time to let me know.

ReleasetheHounds-1.jpg

cheers

Russ

Very very good ... not that I'm an art expert but I love the atmosphere in this; the look of tension in the pilot's face, the youthfulness of the mechanic on the right.

32 squadron I presume? Do the figures representany particular individuals? Who normally flew 7907 and what was it's fate?

Adrian

A wonderful piece on several levels! A great color study of the DH2. Excellent little stories told through the facial expressions and body language of the mechanics and pilots. An overall historically accurate atmospheric piece of the Great War. Marvelous, Russell!

All the best,

Dan

Aye, you've caught a real 'snap-shot' of life on a WWI airfield there Russell! Love it!

cheers

Steve

Very very good ... not that I'm an art expert but I love the atmosphere in this; the look of tension in the pilot's face, the youthfulness of the mechanic on the right.

32 squadron I presume? Do the figures representany particular individuals? Who normally flew 7907 and what was it's fate?

Adrian

Thanks so much, all.

Adrian, it is indeed 32 Sqaudron. The figures don't represent anyone specific. To be honest, I'm a little embarrased to admit that I don't know if 7907 was assigned to anyone specific, nor do I know its eventual fate.

Russ

Breathtaking mate, absolutely breathtaking in composition and execution.

• 1 year later...

Congratulations Russel Smith!

The most renowned aviation magazine "Aviation Week" declared Russel with his picture "Release The Hounds" as winner of First Place Military in its 24 December 2007 special art and photography issue 2007. He was rewarded the James V. Roy Award

Russel well done and hope to see you here again.

Congratulations Russel Smith!

The most renowned aviation magazine "Aviation Week" declared Russel with his picture "Release The Hounds" as winner of First Place Military in its 24 December 2007 special art and photography issue 2007. He was rewarded the James V. Roy Award

Russel well done and hope to see you here again.

egbert - thanks so much for your congratulations and for pointing this out to me. I have been absent for a while, haven't I? No snub to anyone here, just trying not to waste so much time on the computer these days.

cheers

russ

• 1 month later...

Hi Russell,

Very well done.

You watcht it 1 second and You think the plane will jump forward the next one.

Regards,

Cnock