Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does G prefix mean

Desmond7

Am trying to resolve a problem with a service no.

The number if for Royal irish Rifleman, Hugh Connaughty G/1163.

Does anyone have any idea what this would mean? Does it stand for 'garrison' for instance.

Hi brother Robert Connaughty joins up one week later at the end of Nov. 1915. He has the straightforward 181873 number. He ends up in 11th R Ir Rifles but was obviously signed on to the 18th Btn. for training.

I know it is a big 'ask' but if anyone was rummaging around Kew and could find time to do a wee look up, I would be very grateful.

Des

Medal card of Fleming, Barkley

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Regiment 18/722 Private

Northumberland Fusiliers 52267 Private

I have been researching men who enlisted in the same two week period as the Connaughty bros.

I have now established that Robert Connaughty went to the 11th R Ir Rifles ... I took the hard way of cross referencing ... then I searched the church records .. then I did a search of the forum ...

And guess what .. yup .. there he was on a long forgotten post as being amongst 11th R Ir Rif wounded on 1st July. So I'm well sorted on that front.

However, I now wish to ask .. were there many errors on the MIC listings .. I am convinced that the guy above was Royal Irish Rifles yet he is listed as 'Regiment' .

Any thoughts?