Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Castle Bromwich Air Field

Terry Carter

Would I be able to locate official crash reports of accidents that took place of aircraft based at Castle Bromwich during WW1 ?

Cheers

Terry

War Office? The airfield was used for training purposes. Worth checking out 'Air of Battle' the autobiography of William Fry who trained there for the RFC - devotes several pages to the CB airfield. Also guy called Jackson did the same - part of the IWM sound archive.

Terry

As a point of interest there are a number of RFC men, all with private headstones in the middle of Castle Bromwich Churchyard, the one that overlooks the collector road. More than one appears to have died in an accident, maybe they were all from Castle Bromwich Airfield.

Apologies if you already know this, with you been a Castle Bromwich man and all that.

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Seeing the graves in the Castle Bromwich and Curdworth graveyards got me thinking there was probably quite a few crashes in the region of Castle Bromwich (not all fatal) with all the novice pilots learning their flying skills. Those that were killed who served with the Australian Flying Corps are fully documented in the Australian Service Records, which can be seen on the internet.

A Sutton Coldfield policeman, a witness at one Court of Enquiry (for Sydney Woodrow A.F.C.) saw his plane drop out of the sky and crash at Wiggins Hill, probably a couple of miles from where I live.

Regards

Terry

Terry

Did you see the grave for a Captain Edwin Hayne, he has the rather impressive, large grey granite headstone roughly in the middle of the churchyard. He was in the RAF, dying in 1919, but I think he was from South Africa.

Stephen

Castle Brom burials

If the above link is ok then here are some pics of the burials and memorials associated with Castle Brom fatalities in Castle Brom and Curdworth churchyards and inside Curdworth church. All thanks to Tom Morgans excellent Hellfire Corner. SG

Excellent stuff, particularily interested to see the write up on Captain Hayne, thanks for posting the link.

Stephen