Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gwendolyn Morgan OBE?

Chris_Baker

I am told that a Gwendolyn or Gwendoline Morgan won an OBE during the war. I see that there is a set of papers to a lady of that name in WO398/158 at the National Archives, but before I jump in there does anyone have any existing information about her?

I think her maiden name was Gwendoline Lewis, married to Conway Morgan in 1909. There is a marriage in the Times in 1921 giving the parents of the bride as "Conway Morgan, and Mrs Morgan O.B.E."

Steve.

I think her maiden name was Gwendoline Lewis, married to Conway Morgan in 1909. There is a marriage in the Times in 1921 giving the parents of the bride as "Conway Morgan, and Mrs Morgan O.B.E."

Steve.

Unless my maths is even worse than I think it is, the bride must surely have been the daughter of a previous marriage.

Good point!

The bride in question was Cecile May Morgan (b. 1893 at Stafford), daughter of Conway Morgan (age 37 in 1901) and Mrs Effie Morgan (age 34 in 1901) of Stafford.

post-6536-1169211505.jpg

Steve.

Effie Blanche Morgan, b. 20.1.1866, d of Charles Noon of Leicester m. Conway, s of John Morgan of Forebridge Stafford. War work: equipped and and organised "soldiers' Welcome Club" is Stafford which was open from Jan 1915 to May 1919. Three members of her family received the DSO DSC and MBE respectively.

Burke's Handbook to the Order of the British Empire 1921.

Norman