Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card interpretation

susan1962

Hi,

my great uncle died in France on 12/09 1916.On his medal card next to the heading "qualification" is the date 15/4/1915.

What does this date usually indicate? Does it mean the date he joined up?

Susan.

Hello Susan

the qualification is for the 1914-15 Star and the date of entry is the date of entry into the theatre of war eg arrived in France & Flanders or other theatre as the case may be.

If you post the card here, you may pick up other pointers.

Regards

Mel

Hi,

my great uncle died in France on 12/09 1916.On his medal card next to the heading "qualification" is the date 15/4/1915.

What does this date usually indicate? Does it mean the date he joined up?

Susan.

Hello Susan

It means this is the date that he qualified for his 1914-15 Star. i.e. the day he landed in a theatre of war. There should be a box which says something along the lines of "Theatre of war first served in". If there is, what does it say?

Andy

Hello Susan

It means this is the date that he qualified for his 1914-15 Star. i.e. the day he landed in a theatre of war. There should be a box which says something along the lines of "Theatre of war first served in". If there is, what does it say?

Andy

Hi Max,

The Box just says "Theatre of War".Next to it says "1 France"

Also on the top right in the boxes with the medal names are various numbers and letters.Can you interpret these for me?

ROLL ? ?

Victory-M/101 B/23 2945

British-d d

15 Star-M/2 714

Susan

Hi Max,

The Box just says "Theatre of War".Next to it says "1 France"

Also on the top right in the boxes with the medal names are various numbers and letters.Can you interpret these for me?

ROLL ? ?

Victory-M/101 B/23 2945

British-d d

15 Star-M/2 714

Susan

Hello Susan

"1 France" means that your great uncle arrived in France on 15/4/1915. The references next to "Victory" and "15-Star" are the index references to the medal rolls proper. The d d next to British just means ditto.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hello Susan

"1 France" means that your great uncle arrived in France on 15/4/1915. The references next to "Victory" and "15-Star" are the index references to the medal rolls proper. The d d next to British just means ditto.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hi Andy,

many thanks,

Susan