Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Home Guard?

tenaj

In WW1 was there an equivalent of the Home Guard? I have an unidentified photo and it has been suggested to me that the chap might not be in the regular army but something like the Home Guard of WW2.

Nanny Jan

Nanny Jan

Though not an exact equivalent of the HG the Volunteer Training Corps is what your looking for. Also the Royal Defence Corps was manned by over age men and those unfit for overseas service.

Typing the names into the Forum's search facility will bring up a number of previous threads on these subjects.

Can you post the photo?

Dave

Here is Nanny Jan's photo.

Looks like VTC to me. What do other PALS think.

Dave

post-7376-1169164914.jpg

Normally I would have said VTC, but something told me this was a bit different and reminded me of a few other cards that I have in my Northumberland collection, which show older gentleman, scruffily dressed in khaki. Take a look at the character on the right of this photo - look familiar?

So I'm of the opinion that this lad isn't VTC or Volunteer Force, as I have enough photo's of them striking a better pose than this individual. The scruffy N.F. ones I have are National Reservists and although I knew of the organisation and it being mobilised to serve with the T.F. as Supernumerary Companies, it wasn't until I saw a photo in a local newspaper, of the attached photo which is in my collection that things began to twig.

Most VTC photo's show individuals/groups in their grey/green uniforms, as it wasn't until mid-1916 that they received permission to wear khaki. The process of uniform change was slow due to supply, however by the end of the war most are khaki clothed. At the same time these individuals do take some care in their appearance and at least 99% have some form of cap badge, whether VTC or the later Royal Arms.

The attached photo shows National Reservists of the Supernumerary Company, 6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers.

Graham.

post-7376-1169165891.jpg

I've cropped it and resized it to give a better illustration.

Graham.