Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Contact between British/Canadian and German Civilians WWI

Taiha

I'm been going through the papers of a Canadian soldier and have found among the letters sent to his family after his death in 1915, a condolence letter sent to his mother from German family that the soldier in question had stayed with while working in Germany between 1913-14 (his mother was living in London at the time). The letter was only sent 12 days after his death was reported in the L. Times (the man in question was serving in the BEF). This raises some interesting questions: one; Just how much contact was there between the civilians of the opposing powers, and two; how detailed was the flow of information? The question is especially interesting given the Lancet was seemingly able to publish German medical news (conference proceeding briefs etc) throughout the war - often referencing German medical journals as its source (although Swiss sources were also acknowledged).

I know that the Times was available in the Netherlands and other neutral European countries, with some restrictions, until at least Dec 1916 - meaning that copies probably made it into Germany - and that there was the undercover mail system (allowing letters to be sent from one opposing country to another via a neutral country), but I'd like to hear what forum members have to say/have found/know.