Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

rounds/bullets

Guest KevinEndon

But of course!

I will probably have to post them seperately.

First here is the Tracer SPG Mark VIIG. I am afraid it looks like any other .303.

Regards

TonyE

Tony, thanks for these posts and all your others. I do like to see someone who knows his stuff. A query, the top picture looks as though the round is squared off. You refer to it as indistinguishable from any other.303 round. Is the square section a trick of the light?

Tony.

My compliments, wonderful detailed posts.

regards.

Tom.

2nd from right is a buckingham bullet.

Mick

If by "squared off" you mean the tip of the bullet, then yes it is just the way the photo has taken. The tip of the VIIG is the same as any other .303 spitzer type bullet.

Mick - I always like to see your recovered bullets. I presume the second from the left is a fired SPG tracer?

Regards

TonyE

Andrew

The K is as you say, Kynoch Ltd, Witton, Birmingham

KN is Kings Norton Metals company of Kings Norton, Birmingham. KN were considered to be one of the highest quality producers and made 582,430,000 rounds of Mark VII ball in WWI.

Because of their high quality they also made a lot of the special purpose ammunition for Air Service and these are what the other two rounds are.

KN 1917 VIIB is the code for Buckingham incendiary ammunition for the RFC. There were three marks of Buckingham and a 1917 round would have been the Mark II with a pointed bullet similar in profile to the ordinary ball round. The Mark I was round nosed and the Mark III had a flat nose to punch a bigger hole in fabric.

The last round I think you will find is actually KN 1917 VIIG not C. This is the SPG tracer for the RFC and was the most numerous and successful of the WWI tracers. It stayed in service as the Tracer G Mark I (New title from 1926) until 1939.

Went to a very interesting Western Front Association talk in Birmingham last Saturday on Kynoch's in the Great War based on a photo collection in Brimingham Reference Library. Kynochs made c25 million bullets a week. Each bullet required 102 different operations!

Yet again another series of detailed, informative and fascinating replies, thanks again.

This is the Mark I (sorry but it is an old scan of a print - I must retake a digital of it) A nice condition Mark I round is worth over £100 today.

How much would the bottom 1cm or so be worth? :rolleyes:

If by "squared off" you mean the tip of the bullet, then yes it is just the way the photo has taken. The tip of the VIIG is the same as any other .303 spitzer type bullet.

Mick - I always like to see your recovered bullets. I presume the second from the left is a fired SPG tracer?

Regards

TonyE

It is, its a good time of year for bullets...and i came across another tracer last week. Previously I mentioned some German bullets that appeared shorter than usual, after cleaning them, it was trick of the light, nothing unusual except as mentioned before, letter 'P' stamp on base of core.

Mick

Yet again another series of detailed, informative and fascinating replies, thanks again.

How much would the bottom 1cm or so be worth? :rolleyes:

It would be nice to think that the botom 1cm would be worth an eighth of the whole, but regretably that is not so. In fact even a full case without the bullet of these special loads is not worth very much. What happened was after the war there were considerable numbers of specially headstamped cases in store at the manufacturers, so they were made up into normal sporting ammunition, usually with soft point bullets.

I have examples with tracer, incendiary and Pomeroy (VIIAA) headstamps. They cannot even be used to restore the original rounds that might have damaged cases because the bullet crimps are in the wrong place.

Regards

TonyE