Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal index cards

jabs

John Gorman served in the Argile and Sutherland Highlanders and the Seaforth Highlanders. He was issued with Victory and British War Medals; the numbers refer to the medal rolls, looking up those may give the battalions he served with.

David J Gorman served in the 1/19th (County of London) Battalion (St.Pancras) of the London Regiment and transferred to the Royal Engineers. He entered France on 10/3/1915 as a private and was later promoted to corporal. He was issued with 1914/15 Star, Victory and British War Medals; the numbers refer to the medal rolls.

Thank you for that; I have 2 others; one of which is connected to john gorman;seaforth highlanders and one other for john gorman TR/ldn whatever that means; I had a guess at training reserve or regiment and maybe london regiment what would you think??

john.

Am really interested to work out the cause of discharge on these ones, if you can help please.

post-18280-1168915063.jpg

John Gorman served in the Argile and Sutherland Highlanders and the Seaforth Highlanders. He was issued with Victory and British War Medals; the numbers refer to the medal rolls, looking up those may give the battalions he served with.

David J Gorman served in the 1/19th (County of London) Battalion (St.Pancras) of the London Regiment and transferred to the Royal Engineers. He entered France on 10/3/1915 as a private and was later promoted to corporal. He was issued with 1914/15 Star, Victory and British War Medals; the numbers refer to the medal rolls.

thanks for that , muchly appreciated,

regards john

List G-193/1 refers to the granting of the Silver War Badge,& is the reference to the SWB Roll Page.These are held @ the NA & give much useful information regarding enlistment date,discharge date & cause,age,Regiment discharged from etc.

G*W may refer to "Gun Shot Wounds"{GSW}

This one refers to Army Order 265/1 paragraph 2 G1, can't help ya with that though, ya on own for the mo. :D

This one actually refers to Army Order 265/17 Paragraph 2Bi and the details of what it means are below, I've highlighted the relevant sections....

2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:

(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:

(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,

(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).

Hope this helps.

Steve

Cl Z(top right card) means class Z reserve

List G-193/1 refers to the granting of the Silver War Badge,& is the reference to the SWB Roll Page.These are held @ the NA & give much useful information regarding enlistment date,discharge date & cause,age,Regiment discharged from etc.

G*W may refer to "Gun Shot Wounds"{GSW}

Thanks for that,

john

Army Order 265 (A.O.265) is for Soldiers Discharged on being appointed to Commissions. Sept 1918 A.O.265/18.

thanks again,

john

This one actually refers to Army Order 265/17 Paragraph 2Bi and the details of what it means are below, I've highlighted the relevant sections....

2. Under the amended conditions the badge will, subject in every case to the approval of the Army Council, be issued only to the individuals specified below, who have served with the military forces subsequent to the 4th August, 1914:

(a) Those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:

(i) After service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct,

(ii) After service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exception) Act, 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

(b.) Those who, having served as soldiers and being still of military age, have been discharged under the conditions set forth at (i) and (ii) in (a).

Hope this helps.

Steve

answers a lot of questions thanks steve.

john

Cl Z(top right card) means class Z reserve

makes it a lot easier when your steered in the right direction,

thanks again,

john