Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Kyarra

Hi All.

My name is Jamie and I live in London U.K. I am currently researching the SS Kyarra. Can you please let me know what information you have on this ship. I would like to know everything. Even places to look books to read etc.

Thanks

Jamie

Hello Jamie !

I have replied to the thread in the Photo and Document Request section of the Forum. The brief answer would be to do a search on google. A few other details can be obtained from the following websites :

Australian War Memorial

The AIF Project

The last Australian veteran of the Gallipoli campaign, Alec Campbell, had sailed from Australia on board this ship. A few minor details on this can be supplied if requested.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Wayne

My Great Uncle was on board the Kyarra when she was torpedoed in 1918 in the English Channel. The Captains son was killed as he was standing on the deck above where the torpedo struck.

PM me your e-mail address and I will scan and send you the info I have.

Regards

Ian

Hello Jamie,

On 26th May 1918 the HMHT Kyarra, defensively armed, built 1903 6,953 grt, was torpedoed by German submarine UB 57, 2 miles SSE from Anvil Point when on voyage from London to Sydney, with the loss of 6. Owned by Australasian United Steam Navigation Co Ltd of London.

Best wishes

David

Hi Ian

I did send you a PM, can you let me know if you have recived it please? I sent you some more info plus two email address' for you to send any info you may have. To date I have not had anything back. No worries if your busy just didnt want you to think I was being rude and not saying thanks if you have sent anything.

It would be really great to hear from you.

regards

James B

James B

"Jarvis" pointed me at a dive site this evening and once there I saw the name Kyarra and rememeberd your interest. For an interesting sport dive account on this vessel see:

http://www.travel-dive.com/evening-dive-on-the-kyarra

Best wishes

Sotonmate