Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC

Guest trickytree

Guest trickytree

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this and dont really have much military knowledge. I am trying to find out information about my great grandad who served in the great war. All I have to go on is a dog tag (I think it is made of leather) this is printed with his name and service number plus ASC which I understand is Army Service Corps. He lived in Nottingham and was a milkman using a horse drawn milk cart so I can see the connection with ASC, what I dont understand though is I would have thought he would have been in the Sherwood Foresters regiment, did all regiments have an ASC or was the ASC a seperate army regiment. I also know that he served at Ypres in Belgium. I would really like to find out more and to find out exactly which medals he received so that I can purchase copies.

Hello trickytree, welcome to the forum.

The Army Service Corps was not part of other regiments, but an important (and eventually very large) organisation in its own right. It provided transport, storage and other functions to every formation of the army.

If you click here, you can find out a lot more about the ASC itself.

Then if you look at this example of one of the Divisions of the army, you will find that the ASC was part of the make up.

If you post his number here, we might be able to tell you some more about his service from that.

To research him, go to The Long, Long Trail (link top left of this page), click on "Grandad's War", and start at the Basics. You'll know how to go about tracking him down then.

Good luck.