Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin remains

Dave6274

I must at admit first ,I have very little information & books on the air war. Maybe someone here can help me out.

Out of all the Zeppelins shot down, did any crash into the sea & any were remains found by divers etc. I hope someone can recomend a good book.

Thanks Dave.

Several were shot down over the sea:

L70, the largest airship to be shot down, on the last raid on England, 6/8/18 - the incident in which Korvetten Kapitan Peter Strasser, commander of the German Navy airship division was killed

L53, the last airship to be shot down in WW1, on a reconnaisance mission, 11/8/18, by a Camel flown from a lighter (the Camel is the one in the Imperial War Museum)

also L62, L21, L22 and probably others were shot down, and several more were lost over the sea accidentally.

I don't think any have been investigated by divers. At the time, why would they bother? Enough were lost over land to investigate the technology. Now, not a lot would be left, and they would be war graves.

The only pictures I've seen of any airship wreckage on the seabed are of the USS Macon, lost accidentally in 1935. Even then, the most recognisable parts are of the Curtis Sparrowhawk fighters it was carrying.

Adrian