Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre WW1 Medals

Brummie Nick

MICs seem to be a new system for WW1; before that there were just medal rolls. In previous wars there had been less moving between units, less rapid promotions, and overall less need to keep track of men. WW1 was also the longest war for the UK in 100 years.

Going the other way, MICs can show medals issued into the mid 1930's

I've managed to post a picture of the medal concerned in A Place To Play under 2nd attempt, any chance of someone taking a look and identifying it?

cheers Nick

would that fit in with him joining the Army in 1899?

Nick

The Queens SA Medal, with relevant bars, was awarded to those who served between the outbreak of war in October 1899 until 22 January 1901.

Dave

The Queens SA Medal, with relevant bars, was awarded to those who served between the outbreak of war in October 1899 until 22 January 1901.

Qualification criteria for the QSA (and KSA) is quite complicated and I won't go into the details here but I believe I'm correct in saying that the QSA could be awarded for service in South Africa up to 31 May 1902.

Queen Victoria's death (22 January 1901) wasn't the cutoff date for the award of the QSA.

Steve

Thanks for the reply, would that fit in with him joining the Army in 1899?

He might have had enough time to get trained and out there in time. There were also a lot of Imperial Yeomanary units involved too.

There were battle bars, regional bars and date bars for the QSA medal; so he could have had a medal for (as an example) Cape Colony, South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902. The qualifying dates were 11 October 1898-31 May 1902.

Can someone tell me if medals won before WW1, ie Boer war, be shown on the soldiers MIC ?

You do find notification of Volunteer Long Service & Pre 1914 Territorial Force Efficiency Medals,occasionally anotated on WW1{or should I say Great War/First World War}Medal Index Cards,usually giving an A/O number reference & date{I have a 1/5th Suffolk QV.VLSM/Geo V.TFEM Holder that states:~ "Vol Serv Medal 1903",on his Campaign Medal Index Card,& a similar Essex RGA Ed VII LSM recipient noted "VLSM 1909"}but I have never seen notification of Pre 1914 Campaign Medals.