Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searchable War Diaries online

David Seymour

Are there any War Diaries online which are searchable in the way that those at The Wardrobe are? Or is that resource unique?

Regards,

David

PMI (Pardon my Ignorance), but what praytell is the Wardrobe?

You can find the diary of the 17th Welsh Regiment here - 1st Glamorgan Bantams

Dave.

Thanks everyone. I am delighted to make the acquaitance of these sites. It does, however, seem that The Wardrobe is the only one currently to provide a fully searchable database. What a task that must have been for the team involved. The Wardrobe site says: "It has taken four years of effort by our volunteers to transcribe the twenty-four battalion war diaries of the Royal Berkshire and Wiltshire Regiments for both the Great War (15) and World War 2 (9). " Does anyone know anything more of the logistics involved?

Regards,

David

It does, however, seem that The Wardrobe is the only one currently to provide a fully searchable database.

David.

Any webpage viewed on internet explorer can be searched by pressing Ctrl F, or clicking on Edit, then find (on this page). Not the full data base but useful none the less.

Brgds.

I have the full War Diary of the 1/7th. Gordons on my Hard Disk. This is a literal copy of the written work on Army Form C. 2118. It is a Word Document and can be searched using the FIND tool in the EDIT facility. I am willing to let anyone have a copy if they so desire. Two versions are available one text only and the other text + graphics (i.e. maps). If copies are required contact me by e-mail.

Regards

Jim Gordon

Any webpage viewed on internet explorer can be searched by pressing Ctrl F, or clicking on Edit, then find (on this page).

True enough, but most of the pages we are looking at here are pages holding ascanned image (.JPGs); the image itself cannot be searched and this of course is where all the good stuff is. :(

Peter

Ivor,

Many thanks for the link but I've tried it twice and it won't work. Perhaps you could give me the full address - perhaps I can make that work.

Many thanks,

David

I have the War Diaries for the following Bns of the Gloucestershire Regt (all searchable):

18th, 14th, 13th, 12th, 10th, 9th, 8th Bns

Working on 7th Bn next. Eventually I will do them all.

Also privately published diaries for:

1/5th and 12th Bns.

Happy to check for any name or date. The 9th Bn Diary is especially good, mentions private soldiers being killed, wounded and later if they died of their wounds.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the offer. None of the Old Boys on the school war memorial were in the Gloucestershire Regt. but I am currently working through those who served and survived and perhaps, one day, I could share my list with you to see if there are any matches.

Regards,

David