Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Troops in Liverpool Cemetary

Guest Aces High

Poking around Kirkdale Cemetary in Liverpool during the summer, I was astonished to see a large number of graves dated in the 1914-18 period of Canadian soldiers there. I assume they died in Liverpool on their way home to Canada after sustaining injuries at the front , but I am only guessing here, can anyone put me right? Interestingly a large number of them were involved if I remember rightly with a railway regiment. All info greatly appreciated. I also came across the grave of the 2nd (?) in command of the Titanic (His name escape me at present, might have been Anderson) that afternoon in the cemetary so it was an interesting afternoons walk to say the least!

I believe it was Henry Wilde, Chief officer of the Titanic (so second in command after Captain Smith) who has a grave, gravestone and obelisk at Kirkdale.

You can read more about Wilde on another forum, which I belong to at Titanic Titanic

Other crew and passengers are also commemorated in the same churchyard.

Just guessing, but I wonder if some of them are Spanish flu victims in the 18/19 "excruciating wait to get back home" category?

Peter

I wonder if they might well be casualties who died in hospital in Blighty. I jnow that there are Australian men who died in this way and who are interred in Liverpool.

There are a number of Liverpool hospitals listed on the UK Hospital list on the mother site which Chris produced with the help of Jock Bruce and many others wo contributed to a really long thread on this forum, which is still going strong.

Martin

The original 1927 CWGC register for Liverpool says under the Kirkdale entry -

"A large Canadian hospital, which became No.5 Canadian General Hospital, was opened at Kirkdale in July 1917".

It is likely that most, if not all, the burials came from here - either died of wounds or illness.

There are 103 WW1 Canadians buried in Liverpool (Kirkdale) Cemetery

I notice that, despite being located in the United Kingdom, No. 5 Canadian General Hospital kept a War Diary, copies of which are available on the internet from the Canadian National Archives site. I have only browsed a few pages, but they seem to list totals of admisions and discharges (including deaths), if anyone is interested.

Aces-You might want to get in touch with the Maple Leaf legacy project. They are trying to photograph all the graves of Canadian servicemen around the world. There are 104 Canadians buried in Kirkdale-only 22 have so far been photographed.

Their interesting site is:

http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca/

This is serious nit-picking (sorry) but just to avoid any confusion between Mark's and my own posting above....

There are 103 WW1 Canadians in this cemetery and 1 WW2 Canadian.