Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Yacht

Guest Aces High

My Grandfather served on HMS Yacht and HMS Victory during ww1 (thanks to everyone for those posting on HMS Vistory bythe way, it saved ME asking!) Can anyone give me any information about HMS Yacht as I know nothing about it. I do know that he was awarded (as was all the crew it seems) a bounty for the capture of an enemy vessel at some point, but that's about all. Can anyone help? Thanks

Aces

There is no listing for HMS Yacht in the definitive 'Ships of the Royal Navy' by J.J.Colledge. Nor was there any shore station by that name.

Could it be that this is a misreading of HM Yacht 'xyz'? There were several ships of this class. Perhaps some records have been misinterpreted. As in HM Yacht 'Britannia' of a later era?

Okay, I admit I am not positive about the following:

I think that the correct title should be HM Yacht. If I am right, it probably refers to the steamship Medina (aka HM Yacht Medina).

Basically, any ship that was used exclusively by the Royal Family became His Majesty's yacht. In other words, it was the forerunner of Quen Elizabeth's HM Yacht, Britannia.

HM Yacht Medina first carried King George to India in 1911. It was used by the King up until WW1, when it was altered for merchant service, and made a number of trips to Australia for P.&.O. Steam Navigation Co.

It was still referred to as 'HM Yacht.'

Medina was torpedoed off Plymouth, 28 April 1917. Five lives lost.

If I have steered you in the wrong direction, I apologise. But perhaps this will prompt someone to give you the correct info.

TPots

'Yacht' did not necessarily refer to a royal vessel. It was also the description used for a number of different types of vessel - some of them armed.

There were a hundred or so 'Yachts' in service in WW2 and many of them predated WW1. Some were used on active duties and some as accommodation ships.

So there may not be a 'royal' connection - or there might be!

I can give some more info which may or may not make things clearer! Here goes On his certificate of discharge paper we have info like:-

Name of ship - H .M Yacht Patrol

Description of voyage - Patrol duties

Date of engagement 20/6/1916

Engaged/discharged - Portsmouth

Thnaks to all who have contributed so far.

Colledge (Vol 1): HMS Patrol, scout cruiser. Cammell Laird 1904 - Machinehandel Holland 1920. Jane calls her a Light Cruiser, sister to Pathfinder. Nothing about a Yacht, however.

Regards,

David

There is an HM Yacht PATROL listed in Colledge (Vol.2)

However, it did not enter RN service until June 1940 as HM Yacht PATHFINDER and was renamed PATROL in 1941. Sunk in storm 21.10.44. Not really a likely candidate!!

There are a number of possibilities here although some will be discounted depending on area of service

There was :-

TRIAD, Yacht of the S.N.O Persian Gulf.

ALACRITY, Yacht and Despatch Vessel, CinC China.

ROSITA, Yacht.

DOTTER, Yacht.

Mediterranean Convoy Sloop BRYONY has served as Yacht, Rear-Admiral, Aegean.

Hunt Class T. S. Minesweeper PETERSFIELD may also serve as Yacht on South American Station.

VICTORIA and ALBERT, Royal Yacht.

ALEXANDRA, Royal Yacht.

ENCHANTRESS, (Later RESOURCE II) Admiralty Armed Yacht.

ÆGUSA, ( Previously ERIN), Admiralty Armed Yacht.

ARIES, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

CLEMENTINA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

CONQUEROR II, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

GOISSA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

HERSILIA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

IOLAIRE, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

IRENE, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

KETHAILES, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

MARCELLA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

MEKONG, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

RHIANNON, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

SANDA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

VERONA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

ZAIDA, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

ZAREFAH, Admiralty Armed Yacht.

I do know that he was awarded (as was all the crew it seems) a bounty for the capture of an enemy vessel at some point, but that's about all. Can anyone help? Thanks

Aces High,

Can I suggest another line of approach to this problem

There was a thread on Prize Money a little while back where a post from Ian Underwood describes his trawling the London Gazette's listing of prizes in order to trace the ship his grandfather was on

Perhaps it would work in this case too

see Ian's post at

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...hl=prize+bounty

Regards

Michael D.R.

Mystery is solved! Going through family papers last night I found a letter that I had previouly overlooked. My Granfather wrote it in Dec 1916 to his family, it's headed Seamen F Pentin, H M Yacht Yarta c/o G . P Office Stornnaway (sic).

A quick look on google found me this :-

http://kingstonmouldings.co.uk/Boats/yarta_1898.htm

Nice looking vessel. What sort of work might it have done I wonder?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I can't thank you all enough for your time and effort. I will follow up the bounty link and see what it brings.

Thanks again to all . Ignore the new thread that has appeared by the way, I pressed 'new topic' instead of reply. Doh!