Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Second Lieutenant Robert Cyril Forster RAF

michaeldr

Another thread on the G W F has a link to the Newcastle newspaper who are trying to trace the rightful home of a discarded memorial. Following that link I see that last week they had another WWI story where the journalist Ray Marshall would like to know the story of a flyer who "obviously gave his life for the war effort, and his story deserves to be told."

Can anyone provide the newspaper with further details on Robert Forster, killed in an aeroplane crash at Newcastle upon Tyne, May 9th, 1918, aged 23 years?

These details from the CWGC

Name: FORSTER, ROBERT CYRIL

Initials: R C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 75th Training Sad.

Additional information: Son of Mary Elizabeth Irving (formerly Forster), of 306, Rectory Rd., Saltwell Park, Gateshead, and the late Robert Forster.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 3. 2382. Cemetery: GATESHEAD (SALTWELL) CEMETERY

The newspaper article is here http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/chronic...-name_page.html

Michael

2Lt R C Foster, of No 75 Training Squadron at Cramlington, was flying DH 9 C6261 when he was killed. The aeroplane's propeller broke up and pieces struck the wings of the aeroplane. The tailplane failed and the aircraft broke up in the air before the engine and fuselage fell into a street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

C6261 was still a very new aircraft at the time of the accident, as it first flew on 1 May.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

Gareth,

Thanks for the info

In case you didn't contact Mr Marshall yourself I have e-mailed him a link to this thread

And if anyone can add to the above then please do so

Best regards

Michael