Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Complete Beginner Help Requested

whitbycolin

I have some service (Mercantile Marine) personnel that I would like to look for within the MIC systems but not having done so before I wonder why I need to start and would be very grateful for any comments. I appreciate that many forum users may well find this a rather simple query and not bother giving me the time of day but I would like to ask you to point me in the right direction.

I have done a simple search within the home page of The National Archives and was frustrated at not being able to access a definitive search page for such documents / cards.

Thanks in advance for your pointers.

Colin :)

If you let us have the name and any other details, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Neil

are mercantile marine medals on the medal index cards on line ? I dont remember seeing MICs for them at Kew

to quote the web site

Medals rolls, World War One

Army (including Royal Flying Corps)

Welcome Colin

THIS PAGE is the MIC search page.

I'm not sure how much luck you will have however as I think that it is only army records which are currently available on line.

RN service records are on the NA site somewhere.

Good luck

Nigel

As Coldstreamer has said the online Medal Index Cards (MICs) are Army (including Royal Flying Corps and some transfers from naval units).

The Royal Navy service registers are online for RN personel (not the reserves).

The Mercantile Marine MICs are in BT 351 = Board of Trade: Registrar General of Shipping and Seamen: Index of First World War Mercantile Marine Medals and the British War Medal. These are offline at the National Archives at Kew.

Medal rolls for Mercantile Marine Reserve: Ratings are also offline at Kew in ADM 171/130-133.

Some men in the Mercantile Marine also joined the services, particularly the Royal Naval Reserve, their medal rolls are also at Kew in ADM 171/120-124.