Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Central Military Hospital, Eastbourne

chrisharley9

I have checked all of the against SDGW & CWGC to no avail. Before I take these any further I would be very grateful if any one can point if Im wrong ie are they on CWGC & Im just too thick to get it right :P. The list is posted below with any info that I have obtained from various sources. The dates of death are from the Eastbourne Central Military Hospital Memorial

HH Brockett RAMC Died 28/6/1916 DC FOUND - SUBMITTED TO CWGC - ACCEPTED 25 JAN 2007

FJ Burchell or Burchill ASC Died 5/7/1919 DC Ref found COMMEMORATED BY CWGC

G Dupres or Duprey 4th Reserve Bn Northumberland Fusiliers Died 16/12/1917 DC Ref found COMMEMORATED BY CWGC - SEE POST BELOW

T Lockwood Private ASC Died 18/10/1916 DC ref found DC FOUND - SUBMITTED TO CWGC - ACCEPTED BY CWGC 16 MAY 2007

T H Martin 1/6th Northamptonshire Regt Died 15/12/1918 DC Ref found

S V Overton Lance Corporal 5th Bn Notts & Derbys Died 19/5/1918 COMMEMORATED BY CWGC

F J Page Sapper RE Died 1/8/1917 DC Ref found COMMEMORATED BY CWGC

J Thomas 21st Bn Manchester Regt Died 4/12/1918 DC Ref found

All DC refs are the Eastbourne Registrar & match up with the right quarters

Chris

Re HH Brockett actually Herbert William Brocket Born Kimbolton Resident Scredington Lincs

Was very fortunate that my submission to Roll of Honour for the Central Military Hospital Eastbourne had been up dated by a relative of Herbert who kindly has sent me the DC - will check Eastbourne for a possible grave there, but can anyone tell me who I could contact for Scredington near Sleadford. Have googled to no avail - no village or church websites

Chris

Chris

268130 Pte Thomas Osbert OVINGTON, 7th (Res) Bn Notts & Derby Regt, died in UK 19th May 1918.

Recorded in both CWGC and SDGW.

Death registered at Eastbourne (Ref 2b - 90) in Q2 - 1918.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy

Jimmy

thanks for that - one less to worry about & of course I can amend the ROH entry for Eastbourne Central Military Hospital

Chris

Chris

I must have got muxed ip somewhere - it's not OVINGTON but OVERTON. Details remain the same.

Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Have received G Duprey's death certificate today

He is commemorated by the CWGC

Name: DUPREY

Initials: G S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/12/1918

Service No: 235361

Additional information: Son of John and the late Susanna Duprey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXII. U. 291.

Cemetery: NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE (BYKER AND HEATON) CEMETERY

However the date of death is incorrect as the DC gives it as 16 Dec 1917 - the service no & regt on the DC is the same as the CWGC detail. The Central Military Hospital Memorial shows an incorrect unit

Will pass on the DC for corrective action to be taken

Chris

268130 Pte Thomas Osbert OVINGTON, 7th (Res) Bn Notts & Derby Regt, died in UK 19th May 1918.

To add a bit more:-

Thomas Osbert Overton also served as 7451 in the Royal Sussex Regt.

This is mentioned in the 3/7th Notts & Derby Battalion History, but is not on his MIC. Perhaps this suggests that he never served overseas with RSR, but originally enlisted in that Regiment and was then transferred to Notts and Derby R.

He was awarded the VM and BWM serving with either the 1/7th or 2/7th Notts & Derby R. He must have then been posted back to 7th Reserve before he died. The fact that he only has the 6-digit Territorial number on his MIC (268130) suggests that he joined the N & D after March 1917.

The 3/7th (or 7th Reserve) was based in Lincolnshire for the duration of the War – so this perhaps explains why he was buried in Eastbourne - home town etc.

Hope that adds a bit more to his story

cheers

Mike

Mike

excellent thanks

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

DC for Tom Lockwood has been received & confirms his military status - also shows that he was from Oldham (civil trade builder & carter). Checking with Eastbourne to see if he buried there

Chris

• 1 month later...

Tom Lockwood has now been submitted to Terry Denham with his grave being at Chadderton Cemetery, Oldham

• 3 weeks later...

Terry

thanks for letting me know

All The Best

Chris

Facinating stuff Chris...

Keep up the good work.

With my best regards

Neil

Neil

thanks for your comments - I hope to have the rest of these done within the next month or so the day job permitting

Chris

but can anyone tell me who I could contact for Scredington near Sleadford. Have googled to no avail - no village or church websites

Hi Chris,

Scredington is in a group of parishes that come under the Benefice of Helpringham with Hale(so its no longer a separate independant parish - the Priest in Charge is based in Helpringham). The church in Scredington is St Andrews and I have the contact details of the churchwardens which I will PM to you.

Mary

Mary

thanks very much

All The Best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Lockwood now in from the cold see In From The Cold 16 May 2007

Have received G Duprey's death certificate today

He is commemorated by the CWGC

Name: DUPREY

Initials: G S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 18/12/1918

Service No: 235361

Additional information: Son of John and the late Susanna Duprey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXII. U. 291.

Cemetery: NEWCASTLE-UPON-TYNE (BYKER AND HEATON) CEMETERY

However the date of death is incorrect as the DC gives it as 16 Dec 1917 - the service no & regt on the DC is the same as the CWGC detail. The Central Military Hospital Memorial shows an incorrect unit

Will pass on the DC for corrective action to be taken

Chris

This has now been done