Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

whats your favorite war related tv series or docu

trenchwalker

Wings - WW1 flying drama; Boys Own adventures.

World at War - a magnificent WWII documentary. The title music is haunting, as are the photos burning away at the beginning of each episode.

Have to agree with Tom - Dad's Army. If only for the following exchange from the episode where a German officer has been captured.

German Officer to Pte Pike "What's your name, boy?"

Capt Mainwaring "Don't tell him, Pike"

Brilliant stuff - even when I read it, it still makes me laugh out loud. :lol:

One of my own favourites is having a re-run tonight - for anyone with Satellite/Cable, Black Adder is Going Forth for the last time [again!] tonight at 9 pm. on UKGold.

Sue

Ah, yes. The final episode of Blackadder goes Forth

Towards the end of the episode........

Capt Darling "I say, listen - our guns have stopped."

Baldrick " Perhap's the war's over. Perhaps it's peace".

Darling " Thank God - we lived through it - The Great War 1914 - 1917."

Blackadder "I'm afraid not. The guns have stopped because we are about to attack. Not even our generals are mad enough to shell their own men. They feel it's more sporting to let the Germans do it."

Dads Army as well. The above exchange has to be one of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV :lol:

Andy

Guest A Mafia Man

:lol: Black Adder Goes Forth:

Black Adder; What is there to eat in this God forsaken place tonight Baldrick ?

Baldrick; We have a delightful selection on offer, we have RAT-a-fan. Freshly caught rat beaten flat, & fanned out. Followed by RAT-atouile. A freshly caught rat beaten to death and served with some vegetable/fungus muck!

Brilliant !!

Joe

:D

Early epsiodes of 'M*A*S*H'

'A Piece of Cake'

'Reilly Ace of Spies'

There was a one-off drama in the late nineteen eighties with John Thaw as 'Bomber' Harris which I can't remember the name of.

'It Ain't Half Hot Mum' (or is it too non-pc now)

A sitcom set in the National Service RAF called 'Get Some In' if I remember rightly. I don't know if it was any good but it had Robert Lindsay and Tony Selby playing a nasty Corporal. It may have been a load of old rubbish but I remember watching it as a boy every week.

Top of the list would be 'Dad's Army' though.

Cheers

Adam

Dad's Army (not much beats the 'Don't tell him Pike' bit!)

It Ain't 'alf Hot Mum! (stuff the non-PC nonsense :lol:)

World at War

Richard Holmes' Battlefield Walk series, especially the Waterloo episode.

Whistle while you work, Hitler is a twerp.......... :D

World at War

The Nazis - A warning from History

War Walks

Band of Brothers

Wings

Gone for a Soldier (one off documentary -Lyn McDonald, I think)

Lions led by Donkeys (is that the Leo Mckern one?)

the "line of Fire" series.

Dave.

Band of Brothers.....one of the finest things I have seen in many a year.

Dad's Army......as I've got older the more I appreciate just quite how good it is!

The World at War

War Walks

Holmes' The Western Front

Baldrick: "I hope we land on something soft"

Blackadder: "Fine I'll try and aim to land between General Melchett's ears......"

"There's nothing cushy about life in the women's auxilliary balloon corps!"

I have to say that Dads Army is brilliant especially when you consider that many of those in it had actually served in the army as discussed some time recently on this forum.

Also Blackadder is fantastic comedy if not necesserily accurate history and is one of my all time favourites.

For me the episode in MASH where Henry is reported killed is an all time fav, all the camera does is pan arounf the operating theatre and you see the eyes of all the cast showing tearful behind the masks they wear...Ye ye i know soft old sod but there you go.

Riley Ace of Spies also takes me back and AnZacs is great if alittle OTT on the butchers and bunglers routine for me.

Arm.

Hmm.........I see a pattern emerging here.

Blackadder Goes Forth...one of the most incredible pieces of comedy considering the subject matter.

Dads Army... One of those classics which seem timeless. I have two all time favourite episodes (both Great War related but strangely not what I would class as being the most comic)

The first is the episode where Captain Mainwaring finds out Private Godfrey was a conscientious objector in the Great War & ostracises him, only to find out that despite his pacifist view Godfrey still volunteered as a stretcher bearer & was awarded the Military Medal...Eat humble pie Mainwaring.

The second is the episode where Captain Mainwaring is furious when he finds out that the platoon have been instructed to wear their medals on parade by a 'higher authority' & the reason being that he has none of his own because he only served in the Army of Occupation after the Great War had finished.

Dads Army... One of those classics which seem timeless. I have two all time favourite episodes

Will - I'd forgotten those two episodes :o and, you're right, they weren't all-time classic comedy moments but were still great.

Also liked 'Ice Cold in Alex'.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Wings - WW1 flying drama; Boys Own adventures.

Pete,

Now you are really showing your age - about 1977 wasn't it?

BE2c's and Albatross'/Fokker Eindeckkers in combat - an observer with a winchester rifle against a machine gun :huh:

I thinkI still have the books somewhere!

Ian

In no particular order

Blackadder

Dads Army

Colditz

Secret Army

Band of Brothers

War walks

Timewatch

Monocled Mutiner

Oh and on the lighter side Allo Allo