Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

abbreviation help

james_harvey

Hi All.

I have just seen a sub rating abbreviation as WRA or WKA or WRO or WKO it is for a telegraphist.

I have also got Inval Otetis Media (possibly as writing hard to make out) as a reason for discharge, I know he was wounded as he wreceived the silver war badge.

Any help greatly appreciated

James

Hi All.

I have just seen a sub rating abbreviation as WRA or WKA or WRO or WKO it is for a telegraphist.

I have also got Inval Otetis Media (possibly as writing hard to make out) as a reason for discharge, I know he was wounded as he wreceived the silver war badge.

Any help greatly appreciated

James

Otitis media is an infection of the middle ear. Your man was invalided out with chronic earache. Serious in a Telegrapher. Can't help with the initials. WTO could be Wireless Telegraph Operator.?

Hi Joseph,

Would it be recorded under the sub-rating column on a service certificate, as he held it betwen 27/6/18-8/10/18

Kind Regards

James

Otitis media is an infection of the middle ear. Your man was invalided out with chronic earache. Serious in a Telegrapher. Can't help with the initials. WTO could be Wireless Telegraph Operator.?

Might be a bit more serious than a "chronic earache". As noted, this is an infection of the middle ear, which can cause earache-- It also can cause damage to the bones of the middle ear (so-called glue ear), which can destroy hearing in that ear. It may sometimes develop into a really serious infection called mastoiditis, and in very rare cases can get into the brain.... Just because most kids have otitis media and do well from it doesn't mean that we should forget that it can turn into a very serious disease. I bet he had "glue ear" (which could very correctly have been diagnosed in those days as "otitis media"), with loss of hearing in that ear-- pretty disqualifying in that job. Doc2