Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old type medal card i think

parksider

Please can anybody help me asto what is meant by this medal card belonging to my great grandfather.

It is what is on the right hand side that i don't understand.

Many thanks phil.

post-18174-1168559610.gif

:D

Thanks Andy, it is understanding what is actually written in the stamped area that i don't understand and under it, it says 'DUO' i think. What does this mean?

Many thanks Phil.

Hi Gary,

Victory H/1/100 B41115

British ----- Do ----- (meaning 'ditto' so same ref as above)

Star H/1/4 59 (note this is for a 1914 star)

'DOU' I think is 'Disc' for discharged.

Hope this is of some help, cheers, Jon

Hi jon, yes it is of some help. He was disgharged due to mustard gas poisoning and died in august 1916 of pneumonia, i guess because of the poisoning.

Does anybody know where and when the victory battle was from what the card says?

Victory H/1/100 B41115

Hi Phil (appologies for calling you Gary in my last post) <_<

The date on the bottom left of the MIC is 26th October 1914 which is when the 1/5th (Cumberland) Battn. landed at Le Harve, France, as part of the 'lines of communication troops' attatched to the East Lancs Division. On the 5th May 1915 the 1/5th Battn. became part of the 50th Division. Not sure of dates but there was an attachment of 1/5th Battn. (late Oct 1914 - early May 1915) to the 8th Indian Infantry Bde (Jullundur) which was part of the Lahore Division. This Divison took part in the Battle of St. Juliene 24/04/15 - 04/05/15 which is where your man was gassed. So there is a strong likelyhood that your Great Grandfather was part of this attachment, need to do more digging but he could have seen previous action with the 8th Jullundur.

There are a couple of books available for the Border Regiment during the Great War and I'm sure someone else will come along and join in here.

Incidently the 1/5th Battn. were formed in Workington and Carlise. Did you're GG die in the local hospital?

Hope this helps, cheers for now, Jon :D

If this chap was discharged through injury (gassed) he may well have been entilted to a Silver War Badge. There is no mention of it on this medal index card, but there may well be another one for him.

The Victory Medal and British War Medals were the Campaign Medals awarded to any soldier who served overseas during the war. They were not for any specific battle nor were they gallantry medals.

The 1914 Star is a little different as every soldier did not get one of these. To qualify you had to have served in France or Flanders between the outbreak of war and midnight on the 22nd November 1914. This was effectively a medal for the original Army as at the outbreak of war. This medal is sometimes referred to as the Mons Star, after the first British battle of the War at Mons on 23-8-1914, though many of the medals recipients did not actually fight at Mons. The bearers of this medal were usually referred to as "Old Contemptibles", which was a badge of pride to these men.

Steve.

Thanks to you all, you have been a great help to me. I am new to all this and am very greatful to the wealth of knowledge you hold.

Many thanks phil.