Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NF Officer, can't read name = Quiroga

Smithmaps

I would be very interested if anybody could read the name on this NF officer postcard.

The inscription reads:

Yours till Hell freezes

Roy "Something"

I will post Front and back of the card, plus I think he appears on another NF office card I have that I belive to be 4th NF.

I would be gratefull for any thoughts.

Many thanks

And now the front:

post-12226-1168552805.jpg

post-12226-1168552860.jpg

here is another PC

He is standing in the middle at the back

I believe this to be 4th NF

Dalton Holme Camp

Beverley

Yorkshire

April 1918

The cards did not come together.

post-12226-1168553023.jpg

Well done Kevin,I made it Roy -Quir....

Sotonmate

For the record then:

The card is signed:

Roy G (Gower) Quiroga

London Regt No 1844 Rifleman

London Regt 550247 Rifleman

Northumberland Fusiliers 2nd Lt

Gazette to 2nd Lt 18/12/1917 NF, (but not stated which Bn)

Gazette 5th NF 2nd Lt to Lt 18/6/1919

Gazette 5th Bn NF Reserve 15/11/1921 - Captain

Gazette R.Northumberland Fusiliers no 157886

Lt Roy Gregory Gower Quiroga - commissioned as Lt 17/12/1940

(This could be him, or a son due to the addition of the name Gregory)

The picture is dated 2/6/1918, and the two years service stripes on his arm denote his service in the London Regiment as a rifleman. I do not yet know which one.

I am also not 100% certain which NF regt he was promoted into as a 2nd Lt, but it may be the 4th NF.

If anybody knows more about this gentleman, I would be pleased to hear.

Thank you again all.

Guy

Thought it was an unusual surname:

The 1901 census has the 5 year old Roy boarding in Earls Court/South Kensington with his father "Andrew" - who was a civil engineer - born in Lima, Peru - and his mother Elsie. Think the correct name for his father was Andres (per the original copy) and his marriage registration in 3rd quarter of 1894

Looks like Roy's birth was registered in the last quarter of 1895 - as Roy Gregorio G Quiroga

Cheers

Sue

His later 6-digit London Regiment number belongs to the 16th Battalion (Queen's Westminster Rifles).

Steve.

Thank you Sue, Steve and all.

Just a call from his grandson would be nice now to fill in all the gaps!

It is interesting that owning a PC like this is nice, but the learning process about its history is so much more rewarding.

All this info will be collated into a web page which I run on the NF. I have more un named officer pictures, but none with clues or leads like this one.

He married Sep Qtr 1927 Wandsworth RD to Dora Atherton (b 1907, d Aug 1991, Merton Surrey). They had at least 2 sons:

Brian Roy B G Quiroga born 17th Oct 1930 Wandsworth, d Jun 1993 Chichester, Sussex

Ronald Graham G Quiroga b 25th Sept 1934 Wandsworth, d Sept 1993, Chichester, Sussex

Pam

Nothing to do with WW1 but isnt it strange that both of his sons died at relatively early ages (63 & 59) within 3 months of each other?

He married Sep Qtr 1927 Wandsworth RD to Dora Atherton (b 1907, d Aug 1991, Merton Surrey). They had at least 2 sons:

Brian Roy B G Quiroga born 17th Oct 1930 Wandsworth, d Jun 1993 Chichester, Sussex

Ronald Graham G Quiroga b 25th Sept 1934 Wandsworth, d Sept 1993, Chichester, Sussex

Pam

Pam

Thank you, I am staggered at the level of detail that you guys can look up in your living rooms :)

Are you able to tell me his date of death, like you have the sons?

I am convinced he was 50th Division (Which is my special interest) but from the date of the photos April 1918 (training) I think it unlikely that he made it to France prior to the Division being overrun on the Aisne. I have checked for his name in two books, the 50th Div History, and The Candle of Hope Burned Low (1/4th NF), by Rev Callin, but no luck.

He certainly was not captured, as the photo is marked W. Field Putney 2.6.18, after the Aisne Battle.

Come on GWF, lets name some of the other officers in the second picture. :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Guy

Guy - I think the unusual surname (and initials) makes this chap an easier one to trace than so many others.

In Ancestry's UK Phone Books section there is a Major Quiroga listed - with various initials (but mostly correct for our man) - living at 13 Melrose Avenue Wimbledon SW19 in just about every year from 1952 to 1983

Perhaps someone in that area could "check him out" locally

The phone book listings are supposed to go up to 1984 - and the comprehensive UK Deaths index is supposed to start from 1984. As he isn't shown in that - perhaps we could guess he died maybe 1983??

Good Luck with your research.

Cheers

Sue

Guy,

I take it you have looked at the photos in 'When the Lantern of Hope Burnt Low'?

You could ask Neil Storey, webmaster of the 4th Northumberlands if he can help, at:

http://www.4thbnnf.com/index.html

Regards

David

I have checked it thoroughly David. He is not there.

I will speak to Neil.

Thanks again all, fabulous to identify a 'Lost photo in this way'.

Guy

• 7 years later...