Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help interpreting Medal Card

willowthewisp

Dismbd. 9.3.19 = Disembodied 9th March 1919.

Disembodied is the Territorial Force equivalent of Discharged.

You'll note that Harold Brierley had two numbers for the West Riding Regiment, 2739 & 240410, the second of which would indicate he was a member of the 5th Battalion, or to be more precise the 1/5th from the date of his entry into a theatre of war.

The 1/5th were a Territorial Battalion, some details of which can be found on the LLT mothersite, Here

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi

Can someone help me understand this medal card in particular what is written in the remarks section?

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r121/ke...ts/brierley.jpg

Thanks

He's also listed as having been awarded a Silver War Badge Ref: LC/6138 and went to France on the 14 Apr 15 which tallies with the 1/5th Battalion's entry into the war.

See this link for info on the SWB:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad8.htm

All of his medals fall under the Labour Corps which suggests that he didn't spend that long in the 1/5th and this is possibly due to being wounded early on.

Steve

Steve

I take your point about the Labour Corps Medal Roll reference for the Star but if he only had a brief period with the 1/5, why then the need for a March 1917 Territorial renumbering?

Perhaps the asterisks against the W Rid R and 2739 indicate a rectification of an error for the Star?

regards

Mel

All of his medals fall under the Labour Corps which suggests that he didn't spend that long in the 1/5th and this is possibly due to being wounded early on.

:huh:

Sorry but I don't agree...

He would have spent a minimum of 20 months with the 1/5th from his date of entry in 1915 to the fact that he was renumbered at the beginning of 1917 and the Labour Corps were not formed until sometime that year as well. The likelihood is he spent even longer with the 1/5th, was probably a pre-war (or early war) Territorial and his exact timescale of his transfer to the Labour Corps is unknown.

The Labour Corps would have issued his medals because they were his last unit. This would have been whether he served with them for 1 day or since the creation of the Corps in 1917.

At a (very) rough guess i would say that he moved to the Labour Corps late 1917/early 1918.

The 4 asterisks denote the details to be stamped on the VM & BWM medals i.e. Number when first overseas (2739), highest rank attained (CPL.), Name (H. BRIERLEY), and Regiment (W. RID. R.)

His 1914-15 Star would have the Rank when he first stepped off the boat (i.e. 2739 PTE. H. BRIERLEY, W. RID. R.)

Steve.

I'm only going on what I have learnt in the past. e.g. going to France with one unit, being wounded with them and not being fit enough to go back to front-line duties, although I use that term loosely as the LC went to the front line.

The men I have researched went to France in 1915, were wounded in 1916, recuperated for the rest of the year and then ended up in the LC in early 1917.

Maybe my first post was ambiguous by not putting a timescale.

Steve