Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th Glos Regt.

bernie

The Glos were involved in heavy fighting on 16th Aug 1917 around St Julien. The advance was stopped by machine gun fire from Hillock Farm and Masion de Hibou. They dug in around Border House,Jew Hill and Hillock farm. 4th October they were also active between St Julien and Poelcapelle and attacked Alder Farm, Inch House and Vacher farm and a line of consolation made East of Winchester farm.

An aged friend wants to visit the area where his father was most likely injured and when I take him I would like to be able to point out some or all of the above places.

Would some extremely kind person be able to identify these locations or point me in the right direction.

Sorry a bit long winded,

Ever hopeful,

Bernie :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Ever Hopeful Bernie,

I think you waited a long time for this reply because your post was in the wrong place. It might have been better posted in 'Western Front' and advice sought from someone like Aurel Sercu who has much more local knowledge than I do. However, for what it's worth, here we go!

Jew Hall and Border House were just east of St Julien itself while the site of Hillock farm might be seen by stopping halfway along the road from St Julian to the Canadian monument at Vancouver Corner and looking east again. Maison de Hibou is to the west of the same road as you approach the Canadian monument.

Winchester Farm, Vacher Farm and Adler Farm (note spelling), and Inch House are due west of Wallemolen which is itself south-east of Poelkapelle.

All this info was taken from the trench maps incuded in 'The Third Ypres - Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account' by Chris McCarthy. (Arms & Armour Press, 1995). It has been out of print for some time but you may find a second hand copy or get it from your library.

Even with really large scale maps of the area, these places will be very difficult to pinpoint with any degree of confidence but at least you have rough locations and I'm sure if you PM Aurel you will get a helpful reply.

Good luck with your venture and, if you want clarification of anything I've said, don't hesitate to get back to me.

Cheers,

Ian

Hi, Ever Hopeful Bernie,

I think you waited a long time for this reply because your post was in the wrong place. It might have been better posted in 'Western Front' and advice sought from someone like Aurel Sercu who has much more local knowledge than I do. However, for what it's worth, here we go!

Jew Hall and Border House were just east of St Julien itself while the site of Hillock farm might be seen by stopping halfway along the road from St Julian to the Canadian monument at Vancouver Corner and looking east again. Maison de Hibou is to the west of the same road as you approach the Canadian monument.

Winchester Farm, Vacher Farm and Adler Farm (note spelling), and Inch House are due west of Wallemolen which is itself south-east of Poelkapelle.

All this info was taken from the trench maps incuded in 'The Third Ypres - Passchendaele. The Day-by-Day Account' by Chris McCarthy. (Arms & Armour Press, 1995). It has been out of print for some time but you may find a second hand copy or get it from your library.

Even with really large scale maps of the area, these places will be very difficult to pinpoint with any degree of confidence but at least you have rough locations and I'm sure if you PM Aurel you will get a helpful reply.

Good luck with your venture and, if you want clarification of anything I've said, don't hesitate to get back to me.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian your comments and information most, most helpful.

Johan has also given me some guidance including aerial photos of the places mentioned.So with a considerable amount of luck coupled with yours and his information we MAY be able to get within a reasonable distance of where the action took place. From the point of view of the son involved, this will be great if somewhat emotional.

Kindest regards and thanks for your effort.

Bernie.

Good luck. It can be a confusing landscape but your aerial photos combined with maps should give a good idea.

Ian