Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ratings Service Sheet

John84

Hello Naval Pals

I have just downloaded this ratings naval sheet, could anyone please make any sense out of it...It looks like he was on HMS Galatea, and apart from his physical description, and conduct, I can't make head nor tales of it....it also looks like he has another sheet online, service number J73186, would this one hold anymore information.

Thanks

John.

post-5661-1168346958.jpg

Hello Naval Pals

I have just downloaded this ratings naval sheet, could anyone please make any sense out of it...It looks like he was on HMS Galatea, and apart from his physical description, and conduct, I can't make head nor tales of it....it also looks like he has another sheet online, service number J73186, would this one hold anymore information.

Thanks

John.

John,

This man joined on Continuous Service as J.73186 (cannot tell when from this document) and subsequently (on 24/4/19) transferred to Short Service (with this SS number). He was in GALATEA as an Acting Stoker 1st Class until 7/1/20 and was then confirmed as Stoker 1st Class. He was discharged from the service (to Shore) 6 days later on 13/1/20. It was a free discharge - he did not have to buy himself out.

You need to get hold of his service record under J.73186 to see his full service. You may also wish to obtain his enlistment papers which are archived at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

John,

This man joined on Continuous Service as J.73186 (cannot tell when from this document) and subsequently (on 24/4/19) transferred to Short Service (with this SS number). He was in GALATEA as an Acting Stoker 1st Class until 7/1/20 and was then confirmed as Stoker 1st Class. He was discharged from the service (to Shore) 6 days later on 13/1/20. It was a free discharge - he did not have to buy himself out.

You need to get hold of his service record under J.73186 to see his full service. You may also wish to obtain his enlistment papers which are archived at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Thanks horatio

He was one of my local lads, thought I better make start on the naval boys. Costing a small fortune. When I downloaded this sheet there was another lads details also, you would have thought the national archives would have included both my lads sheets on one page rather than the other lads...then again they would not be able to sting me out of another £3.50.... I will download his other sheet when I get a minute.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

PS...would the date on the right hand side of his sheet (15 April 1918) be the date he fist joined the navy, also noted that this is the same date as his 18 birthday.

PS...would the date on the right hand side of his sheet (15 April 1918) be the date he fist joined the navy, also noted that this is the same date as his 18 birthday.

No that is the date (his 18th birthday) when his 'man's time' started. No service before his 18th birthday counted towards his engagement or his pension. (For officers, no time before 21st birthday counts to pension.)

No that is the date (his 18th birthday) when his 'man's time' started. No service before his 18th birthday counted towards his engagement or his pension. (For officers, no time before 21st birthday counts to pension.)

Thanks again horatio

Its all startng to make a bit sense to me now. Could you please tell me please what the J prefix stands for on his other service number, and do these sheets not give at date of the Ratings enlisment.

Thanks

John.

Thanks again horatio

Its all startng to make a bit sense to me now. Could you please tell me please what the J prefix stands for on his other service number, and do these sheets not give at date of the Ratings enlisment.

Thanks

John.

Hi John

On the other ratings sheet it would have his original date of enlistment, if he joined up before his 18th birthday.

The J part denotes that he was in the seaman branch of the service, if he was a stoker then it would be K and a era would be M etc.

He should have another letter before the J or SS to denote his port depot, for e.g. C is Chatham, P is Portsmouth and D is Devonport,

I hope this helps

James

Hi John

On the other ratings sheet it would have his original date of enlistment, if he joined up before his 18th birthday.

The J part denotes that he was in the seaman branch of the service, if he was a stoker then it would be K and a era would be M etc.

He should have another letter before the J or SS to denote his port depot, for e.g. C is Chatham, P is Portsmouth and D is Devonport,

I hope this helps

James

Thanks James, much appreciated.

James and horatio

I have downloaded his other sheet and also that of his brother who also served in the Navy. I have tried to attach both service sheets here, but am having problems.They are both under 100kbs. Would it be possible for me to send then to one of you or even both to have a look at, there is a lot more information on both these sheets, but most of it I haven't got a clue. If its ok for me to send you them could you please PM me your email addresses, and I will send the sheets on.

Thanks lads

John.