Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QMAAC records and information

4thGordons

I am looking for references to read up on the QMAAC and some assistance interpreting a Form 103B which is part of the record of a QMAAC cook.

I recently picked up a Victory Medal to 3815 Wkr G Harding QMAAC. it was in with a couple of others and although I do not collect medals it was the first great war medal to a woman that I has seen and it was relatively cheap (<$20.00) so...

I went to the Nat Archives and downloaded the MIC - nothing remarkable or very interesting but then, following a link provided on the forum in a previous thread I followed it back to the Nat Archives and the QMAAC files and I was in luck, 3 pound 50 got me what I think is a complete service record (of 10+ pages) although some are difficult to read. They include what appear to be correspondence after demob asking about monies owed, as well as application forms, references, medical forms etc.

I have not had time to do anything with this (it is 2am now and I have been at this for a while!) but I was hoping some of the QMAAC experts might be able to point me in the direction of reference books on the organisation, and in particular the hospital at Etaples, and secondly help out with interpreting the form attached below:

It appears that Ms Harding spent 2 periods in hospital herself during this period but both seen to be NYD (not yet diagnosed) although the second might be NYD m? I know NYD (N) = nervous/neuro but am unfamiliar with m

I must admit as I usually only get cryptic MICs or single lines in SDGW am a little overwehlmed by the amount of material on one person! If anyone is particularly interested or studying QMAAC I would be happy to share the pdf files - just PM me and I can send them on

Thanks for any help, comments, insight etc

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

Did you get her christian name was Gladys ? Some of the top of the form is readable and shows that she was posted from the QMAAC HQ at the Hotel Metropole Hostel Folkestone,to Etaples,sailing from Folkestone to Boulogne to get there.

As it is a bit dark at the bottom of the form (and are there others like it ?) I could add your NA file reference to my list for my next visit and do a Word doc for you,if you want. Always subject to completing my other (family) missions on the day !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for the offer Sotonmate, but actually the whole file was downloadable (lots of pages for 3.50) which makes single (blank) MICs seem exhorbitant! So I am not sure what else you might find at the NA. I got her first name off the MIC actually but it appears in a number of the other documents in the set. Most of the electronic files are legible with a bit of work and I think I have most of them decyphered now...but thanks - of course if you run out of things to do at the NA (is that possible) I would be happy to get anything you find but it is not a priority for me so please don't go to any trouble.

I am still at a loss to know what the m in NYD m is though!

Thanks again.

Chris