Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Forums (or Fora)

burlington

My brief sojourn within the 4 virtual walls of this establishment makes me think that we need 2 new forums.

One devoted to 'The Home Front/Blighty' and one to 'Post 1918 activities'- see my previous posting elswhere on this.

They seem to be sufficiently important in their own right, though I do appreciate that the topics may well be covered within or as part of other postings.

What do you think?

Pedants’ Corner.

The plural of forum is fora if the forum is a Roman public square or a marketplace.

In the sense of ‘a place for a discussion’, 'tis forums.

Just in case anyone is either interested or bothered apart from me.

But then wot do i no.

Gwyn

we already have one for the home front

Sorry- mea culpa (oops-better be careful here in case we get more postings about the mis-use of latin!). However, I must need a new pair of glasses re suggestion for a Home Front forum..

However, what about the post-1918 idea?

Pedants’ Corner.

The plural of forum is fora  if the forum is a Roman public square or a marketplace.

Just in case anyone is either interested or bothered apart from me.

But then wot do i no.

Gwyn

And there was me thinking that this was the electronic version of a Roman Market Square where we could all gather in the relevant corner or section and discuss the Great War to our hearts content.

On a more pedantic pedastal I have wondered if the wonderfully successful "Winnie ille Pu" had in fact set the precedents for the modern use of the "lingua latina" or whether there is a better precedent in the doggerel of the "Bankolidaid" ("Costermonger erat Jack Jones...") or simply those magic words "Implet in the Corn and High, Terror me Motores Bi"

Quid cogitant amici?

If you lot dont start speaking in English I am taking me ball home and i aint playing.

Arm. :blink:

Pedants’ Corner.

The plural of forum is fora if the forum is a Roman public square or a marketplace.

Just out of idle curiosity.

Is the plural of "Elvis" actually "Elvii" as was mentioned in some US sitcom a few years ago? :blink:

Dave :D

However, what about the post-1918 idea?

Paul Reed suggested something similar, within this group, a month or two ago. The idea was outvoted.

Thanks. That was before I became properly active (no jokes please).

I wonder why it was not wanted. Any views?

Is the plural of "Elvis" actually "Elvii" as was mentioned in some US sitcom a few years ago? :blink:

Dave

No such plural exists. There is only one Elvis !!!!!!!!

Alive, well and working at a Burger King (geddit?) in Elmira, New York State.

John

No such plural exists. There is only one Elvis !!!!!!!!

Alive, well and working at a Burger King (geddit?) in Elmira, New York State.

John

I didn't realise Elvis Costello worked in Burger King.........you would have thought he'd have made at least some dosh out of the royalties from his hit 'Olivers Army' :lol:

It wasn't so much a post-1918 area that was talked out, but a WW2 area. There is nothing to say you can't discuss post-1918 stuff here, but it is meant to be a Great War Forum. Yes, I know the war officially went on to 1919, and even later if you count Russia.

It wasn't so much a post-1918 area that was talked out, but a WW2 area. There is nothing to say you can't discuss post-1918 stuff here, but it is meant to be a Great War Forum. Yes, I know the war officially went on to 1919, and even later if you count Russia.

Surely the term 'The Great War' should encompass the immediate aftermath both domestic/familial and political. I think that the effect of the War and how people came to terms with it post-war or did not as the case may be, is an important topic.

I was not referring to WW2 or the Spanish affair or anything like that. I agree that should be for another place.