The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

S.A.R. Brigade

Hett65

William Embleton was Bomb. 166977 Royal Garrison Artillery. On his Army Form Z18 it is recorded that he served with the RGA No 1 S.A.R. Brigade as a 1st class gunlayer. I have checked my books and I am unable to trace what S.A.R. stands for, can anyone assist.

John

John

South African Reserve Brigade ?

There was a South African Heavy Artillery Reserve, SAHAR. I wonder whether or not SAR is an abbreviation of this. There are some previous threads on SAHAR

Stuart

Stuart

Thanks for that, yes I thought it was possibly something to do with South African Reserve, I sometimes wish with unusual abbreviations like this that they would write in the full title.

John

• 4 weeks later...
. . . . South African Reserve . . . . .

There was a South African Heavy Artillery Reserve Brigade but the then 5 batteries had been renumbered in November 1915 from Nos 1 to 5 at the formation in August 1915 to

Northern & Central South African Siege Brigade (Old 2nd Brigade) (ROSE)

No 71 [3rd] (Transvaal) Siege Battery

No 72 [4th] (Central & Diamond [Fields]) (Griqualand West) Siege Battery

No 75 [5th] (Natal) Siege Battery (originally unbrigaded)

Cape Province South African Siege Brigade (Old 1st Brigade) (PEACOCK)

No 73 [1st] (Cape Peninsula) Siege Battery

No 74 [2nd] Eastern [Cape] & Port Elizabeth) Siege Battery

125th [6th Transvaal] – 3rd April 1916

The last batteries were (courtesy of EssDee)

496th (SA) Siege Battery ( 4 * 6” Howitzers ) – 5th September 1917

497th (SA) Siege Battery ( 4 * 6” Howitzers ) – 5th September 1917

542nd (SA) Siege Battery ( 4 * 6” Howitzers ) – F & F 21st May 1918

552nd (SA) Siege Battery ( 6 * 8” Howitzers ) – Oct 1918

But the infamous HAG system changed the brigade system and the numbers . . .

Carl Hoehler

• 6 years later...

Just bouncing this back up, as the question has come up in another thread today, and I have no idea what it means either. Is it South African Reserve? Doesn't seem right to me somehow.

(t'other thread: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197348&hl=

Thanks Kevin. Thought it wasn't right somehow.

• 10 years later...

Hi Gents,

Sorry to intrude like the elephant in the china-store, all of above assumptions are wrong. SAR was a well-established abbrev. for SA Railways & H(arbour). If you venture into the SAR (&H) history, they occupied like a "para"military section, providing men in WW1. If you look at military records (e.g., Albert Marr, 3rdSAI), JB Kruger 74th SB) you will notice that their pre- and post war occupations were at or with the SAR, i.e., South African Railways

https://www.theheritageportal.co.za/article/history-sarh-magazine-1905-1930

Sincerely,

Benjamin Thyla. 

Edited by benjamin thyla

On 10/03/2024 at 13:50, benjamin thyla said:

Hi Gents,

Sorry to intrude like the elephant in the china-store, all of above assumptions are wrong. SAR was a well-established abbrev. for SA Railways & H(arbour). If you venture into the SAR (&H) history, they occupied like a "para"military section, providing men in WW1. If you look at military records (e.g., Albert Marr, 3rdSAI), JB Kruger 74th SB) you will notice that their pre- and post war occupations were at or with the SAR, i.e., South African Railways

https://www.theheritageportal.co.za/article/history-sarh-magazine-1905-1930

Sincerely,

Benjamin Thyla. 

I believe @kevinrowlinson has correctly identified it as  - No.1 Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade.  - Formerly B Depot Siege Artillery. Bexhill. 

Edited by GWF1967

29 minutes ago, benjamin thyla said:

Good afternoon,

Cannot find any SAR abbrev. standing for Siege Artillery Reserve... Sorry.

Sincerely,

Benjamin 

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=97b389584c57d150JmltdHM9MTcxMDExNTIwMCZpZ3VpZD0zYTRiNWI1Ny03ZDBlLTYxYzktMGIxYS01NjRhN2M0ZTYwMTMmaW5zaWQ9NTIxNQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3a4b5b57-7d0e-61c9-0b1a-564a7c4e6013&psq=long+long+trail+artillery+depot&u=a1aHR0cDovL3d3dy5sb25nbG9uZ3RyYWlsLmNvLnVrL2FybXkvcmVnaW1lbnRzLWFuZC1jb3Jwcy90aGUtcm95YWwtYXJ0aWxsZXJ5LWluLXRoZS1maXJzdC13b3JsZC13YXIvcm95YWwtYXJ0aWxsZXJ5LWRlcG90cy10cmFpbmluZy1hbmQtaG9tZS1kZWZlbmNlLXVuaXRzLw&ntb=1

The link above should work - It should take you to The Long Long Trail - Artillery Depots, where you will find  - B. Depot Siege Artillery, Bexhill,  became  No.1 Siege Artillery Reserve Brigade in 1917. 

The man in the OP - 166977 William Embleton has surviving service papers showing he was a Police Constable from Ashington, Northumberland.

On 21/10/1917 he is shown as being posted to No.1 Depot Siege Artillery.  Additionally his Protection Certificate has his unit listed as 1. S.A. Res Bde.  R.G.A.

Yes, you are right with regards to this niche-query. But the point I was trying to make, from a "reductionist-hierarchical" approach, is that what you (or "Kevin")  performed, is a needle-in-a-haystack research, a quite or quasi impossible mission for any amateur-historian or would-be historiographer. What I wanted to say (or state) = WW1 records, narratives, whatever "plus" SA(R) abbrev. = South African. Not Siege Artillery... I am a medical professional; in my branche SA is not Siege Artillery either, it = Sinoatrial. In other words, the pacemaker of the heart and a pyramidal "top" word in cardiology, available with a 10-fold of added letters and figures. Be my guest, ask any nurse you know what SA stands for: she won't answer you Siege Artillery. :D

Good evening,

Benjamin  

https://www.rxlist.com/sa_node/definition.htm

Just realised this enquiry has come back on the forum. I endorsed my records of Embleton as Siege Artillery Reserve after Kevin's post on 27th July 2013.

John