Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pilot CB Spence & observer WF Rodney

Geert Spillebeen

Hi, I am just a beginner on this forum. (Registered today.)

Searching the internet I came across the names of Lt(pilot) Charles Bennett SPENCE and his observer (the Right Honourable) William Francis RODNEY. Both died on 9 May 1915 in France.

In fact I am leading a research on the First Boy Scouts (100 years ago, BadenPowell's test camp on Brownsea Island) Some of these 20 boys on that camp died in WW1. One of them is WF Rodney.

I cannot find a PICTURE of him. Can you help me? Maybe a picture of pilot Spence & observator Rodney? Or any information about the circumtances in which they died. Any document copy... would be welcome.

GEERT (Flanders)

Hi, I am just a beginner on this forum. (Registered today.)

Searching the internet I came across the names of Lt(pilot) Charles Bennett SPENCE and his observer (the Right Honourable) William Francis RODNEY. Both died on 9 May 1915 in France.

In fact I am leading a research on the First Boy Scouts (100 years ago, BadenPowell's test camp on Brownsea Island) Some of these 20 boys on that camp died in WW1. One of them is WF Rodney.

I cannot find a PICTURE of him. Can you help me? Maybe a picture of pilot Spence & observator Rodney? Or any information about the circumtances in which they died. Any document copy... would be welcome.

GEERT (Flanders)

Hi Geert

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure you will find it enjoyable.

I can't offer you a photo but I can offer the following information about their final flight:-

9th May was the busiest day of the air war thus far; 16 Squadron, to which Spence and Rodney belonged, had for some days been involved in reconnaissance for army headquarters with a view to the coming Battle of Aubers Ridge (9th May 1915). Spence and Rodney, flying a Maurice Farman number 1854, took off at 4:35 a.m. on an artillery patrol, carrying out the vital task of 'ranging' German gun batteries that were then hit by British counter-battery fire. At 7:30 a.m. the aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire and began a steep glide that turned into a nosedive, leading to the airframe failing at 2,000 feet. Both occupants were killed instantly.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Ken

PS: This information comes from 'The Sky Their Battlefield' by Trevor Henshaw (ISBN: 1- 898697-30-2).

Geert

Welcome to the Forum.

There are a few lines about the deaths of Lt C B Spence and 2Lt The Hon F W Rodney in Volume II of The War in the Air, where it says that their Farman, No 1854, was being used for spotting by French heavy artillery and the British 26th Heavy Battery. The two airmen spent six hours directing shells onto many German batteries, silencing their fire during the infantry's attacks, before their aircraft suffered a direct hit from anti-aircraft fire.

The 'six hours' statement is odd, as 1854 left La Gorgue aerodrome at 0435, and was brought down at 0730. Perhaps the author included work carried out on the previous day.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth