Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help?

nittenman

I'm trying to help a work colleague who is trying to trace his relatives. His aunt told him that four of her brothers were killed. Their surname is Reilly or Riley. I have managed to identify only one;

Edward Riley Pvt 10432 6th Batt. South Lancashire Regiment. Edward was killed on 10/8/1915 at Gallipoli and is commemorated on the Helles memorial. Son of Patrick, 20 Union Street, St Helens. Browsing SDGW & CWGC, I suspect that Gnr. Lawrence (5352) is a good bet, but there is no concrete proof. I cant find anything conclusive on SDGW or CWGC but could that be because the family didnt return the finalistion forms?

I would have thought that even with all the death and suffering four brothers killed would have been newsworthy at the time. Can anyone assist with the identities of the other brothers?

I initially posted this under the Classic threads re Gallipoli Brothers but in view of the absence of information it may be more suitable here. Thanks.

Keith

Hi your best bet is the local librarian in St Helens. They usualy have local newspapers on microfilche and will either search for you or help you search. Alternatively you can try local memorials either by footslogging or online . It may however take a while to find the correct local memorial as there are so many listed in the project.

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

Is the Aunt of your colleague still alive ?

Sadly, no. I will be seeing my colleague tomorrow and try and get some more information out of him. The main problem is that the family were so unable to come to terms with the grief that it was never spoken of again. The slightest question would cause huge ructions in the family.

I appreciate the help given thus far and if I can find out anything further, I will update the post.

Keith