Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cant find Mic

Murrough

I cant find the MIC for this man at the NA and I would be grateful for any help/suggestions.His details are Pte Charles Skelton 3565 1/4th Batt Northumberland Fusiliers, Kia 15/9/1916 in the battle of Flers Courcelette.

I cant find the MIC for this man at the NA and I would be grateful for any help/suggestions.His details are Pte Charles Skelton 3565 1/4th Batt Northumberland Fusiliers, Kia 15/9/1916 in the battle of Flers Courcelette.

Hi There,

What else do you know about this guy? The reason I ask is that the only match I can find is this one:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Is it possible he joined up under false name?

Steve

P.S. You might find that the MIC will list this.

Thanks Chaz for the info.I have tried some different combinations but I still have not found his MIC.

Best Regards,

Damien.

Name: SKELTON, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 3565

Additional information: Son of Samuel Justice Skelton and Elizabeth Skelton, of 8, Beech St., Hull.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B.

This is the only other info I have but I have his Victory Medal which confirms name and number.

Regards,

Murrough.

Name: SKELTON, CHARLES

Initials: C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/4th Bn.

Date of Death: 15/09/1916

Service No: 3565

Additional information: Son of Samuel Justice Skelton and Elizabeth Skelton, of 8, Beech St., Hull.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B.

This is the only other info I have but I have his Victory Medal which confirms name and number.

Regards,

Murrough.

What I mean is, is he a relative etc? I've tried different search parameters under the NA site and have looked up both CWGC and SDGW, but is he specific to your family and could he have joined up as an underage soldier, or something like that?

The closest I have got to it is the link I've provided as all the Skeltons in the NF have different service numbers.

Steve

No Relative Steve, Just a mystery I cant solve,I know this man existed and died but Im bothered that I cant find a Mic even though I have his VM and I feel I should try and find it.Sometimes new eyes can find it easier as I have tried all avenues up to now, but Steve thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Murrough.

No Relative Steve, Just a mystery I cant solve,I know this man existed and died but Im bothered that I cant find a Mic even though I have his VM and I feel I should try and find it.Sometimes new eyes can find it easier as I have tried all avenues up to now, but Steve thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

Regards,

Murrough.

For the price of £3.50 I'd look at the MIC I've listed just to see if that gives you any info.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Im going to try that .I have no other avenue to try and I will let you know what happens.

Regards,

Murrough.

Murrough,

His is probably one of hundreds of MIC's that have gone missing during the move from the Army Medal Office. The story goes they were loaded into black bin liners and some fell off the wagon during the unloading process, which was conducted in high winds. The bags burst and the contents were scattered to the four winds.

However rest assured he is in the Medal Roll Books try WO329-686 page 610. The other 3565 Pte Charles Thomas Harris is on the same page, but he was a 1st Bn lad who didn't get any medals as he deserted on the 25th January 1915. He may have eventually got them during an amnesty by King George V in the early 1920's.

Graham.

Thank you Graham, I never knew so many Mics went missing.I always thought I would find him eventually if I had the magic formula.I am going to London in the near future to visit relatives but I think I will spend more time in the NA.

Best Regards,

Murrough.

That explains why I couldn't find any MIC for Capt. J. C. Urquhart MC (see this thread). I had no idea that a significant number were lost. I don't remember seeing it mentioned on the PRO website or TLLT.

That explains why I couldn't find any MIC for Capt. J. C. Urquhart MC (see this thread). I had no idea that a significant number were lost. I don't remember seeing it mentioned on the PRO website or TLLT.

Gavin,

Not necessarily. Officers who survived the war had to claim their medals. If he didn't claim, then there will be no card for his campaign medals. There will be an index card for his MC in

WO 389/23 - Tra - Wilks

Regards

Hugh