Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Henry Osborne RN (Served 1899-1946)

Taters

Hi All

This picture is of a relative of my William Henry Osborne. I'm researching his life and naval career - which was quite long! {I have his service record (it even runs over onto another man's page because its so long)}.

He started at HMS Ganges as a Boy 2nd Class in Dec 1899. He then went through every rank - Boy 2nd, Boy 1st, Ordinary Seaman, AB Seaman, Leading Seaman, Petty Officer, Gunner Commissioned Gunner, Lieutenant, and finally Lieutenant Commander - finnaly retiring in 1946! He served through whole of WW1 and all but a few weeks of WW2.

He was MiD when in Dover Patrol in WW1 - but I have lots of info and soures on this -overall I've found loads of background information - but have lots of queries:

1. What rank was he in the picture (then I can date it).

2. What was a PONS - a Petty Officer _______?

3. Can anyone direct me to a soure that explains the system whereby officers went on gardening leave if not required then came back again? On his record it looks like "Sups" and "Supd"??? Also a general book (for idiots) on life, ranks, etc in the navy would be good.

4. Whats the difference between a Gunner and a Commissioned Gunner (as it seems that a Gunner was already an officer)?

5. WHy didnt he get a Long Service Medal?? Might it be that by becoming an officer in 1916 he had to start counting again???

6. In WWI he was on HMS Britannia (never fired a shot in anger!) and HMS Leven (Sank a U-boat) - but he didnt get his medals until 1922(?) when on HMS Queen Elizabeth. What ship would have been on the medals? One one he served on when qualifying? Or the one when he got them ((Is the latter seems strange as he wasnt on it during the war).

6. (sorry I know its off topic...) any sources for 9th Submarine Flotilla in WW2? Have been to NTA and can find very little about 9th Flotilla (Dundee) - also seem to be very few mention in books? Any ideas? And what would the Flotilla Gunnery Officer have done (as submarines generally only had one gun each - and presumably there was a Flotilla Torpeo Officer???)????

Sorry to have asked so many questions - hope you will bear with me and come up with a few answers.

Thanks!

post-11709-1168119741.jpg

Taters,

The photo is of a 'Gunner' which was a Warrant Officer, the next rank up is 'Chief Gunner' which is a Commisioned Warrant Officer (would have a thin Gold ring above the buttons) then it would be Sub Lieutenant, Lieutenant.

PO NS is; Petty Officer (New Service), which was a rating established on or after 1st October 1907.

Regards Charles

The award of the LSGC medal is only recorded with the words 'traced medal' or 'traced med' so it can be easy to miss. It was given for 15 years adult service (from 18) so if he was an officer by 1916 he did not qualify. Officers did not receive the medal, they had seperate medals.

The 1914/15 Star was usually issued earlier, but 1922 was the standard date for issuing British War and Victory Medals. The names of ships do not appear on the 1914/15 Star trio.