Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pdf file of medal index

jamesmcdonald

I just got a medal index card file from The national Archives. It is a P.D.F. File, and I am trying to copy it on to the forum for someone to interpret it. I simply cant seem to get it copied. Is there anyone who can help?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I usually print out the page and then re-scan the image of the card I want and save as it a jpeg file. That can then be posted on the Forum. There is probably a simpler way, but I find that easiest.

Hope that helps

Carolyn

and you have to keep the size small to make posts - under 100 kb

There should be a select tool in the PDF Reader. Use this to select the MIC you want and copy and paste this into a Paint programme. Save as a Jpeg, and try that.

Steve.

There should be a select tool in the PDF Reader. Use this to select the MIC you want and copy and paste this into a Paint programme. Save as a Jpeg, and try that.

Steve.

I've got the card on to paint ....JPEG...select all...copy..

But when I go to paste it, Paste is not active.

Am I missing something?

Bear with me, guys. ...............

At last I got it using the forum's help.

Now, could someone please interpret it please, the complete number below 2948 is 266093

post-16129-1168111928.jpg

Thanks, Jim

The number would put him in the 7th Battalion (City of Glasgow) numbers 265001-290000. The 7th Battalion had two Battalion, 1/7th & 2/7th so without you seeing his service records he could be in any of them.

He has the British War Medal & Victory Medal, being that he did not go overseas until after 1st Jan 1916. He also has the Silver War Badge, he would have got this when he was discharge out of the Army.

The 2/7th Battalion did not go overseas, so he may have join up with them, done his trainnig then posted to the 1/7th Battalion.

Jim,

It's basically telling you that he was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals, and that he was also entitled to the Silver War Badge. The numbers and letters after each entry is the reference number to the particular roll the person will be included on. The British War Medal and Victory Medals are found on the same medal rolls, hence the reason there is only one entry.

Barrie

The SWB Roll would contain information on the exact date of his enlistment and the date of his discharge, plus a possible description of the reason.

Steve.

Stebie,

Is your PM box full, as I've been trying to PM you with some info.

Graham.