Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my family history

stevew

After some advice really.

I know very little of my family history, I have found out a few things from the 1901 census site, but haven't been brave enough to part with my hard earned shillings to view the payable pages!!

One of my first questions is what information can I find out at the Family records centre. If for example I know my Grandfathers name, can I go to the FRC and see details of when he was born (without paying for a copy of the birth certificate), or is it case of going to the FRC and having my grandfathers name I have to pay to see the birth certificate to find out his parents names.

So, I suppose my main query is what can I actually find out at the FRC, is that right place to go to?? should I go elsewhere.

THanks for any help

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The FRC can be a bit of a scrum!

If looking up the birth od somone you really need to know their name ( :huh: ) and some idea of when they were born say 1860 to 1865. You are able to view the large ledger type books - most local History centres have microfiche of the pages of these ledgers. There are 4 ledgers per year: Mar, Jun, Sept & Dec quarters. Records start in 1837. You will see written (in the earlier ledgers), typed in the later ones, full name, parish and then a code, which you will need to order the birth certificate. If you want info like father, who registered the birth, address etc you really need to order the certificate, which you can do at the counter.

Nearest tube is Islington on the Northern Line (nice.........)

Ian

Steve

The Family Records Centre holds the indexes for Births, Marriages and Deaths from 1837 onwards, in the form of ledgers. This information is also held on microfiche at the Public Record Office and at most large libraries and County Record Offices. The index will give you a reference which will enable you to order a certificate. There is no way that you can look at the actual certificates without ordering and paying for them, although Scottish records are somewhat different, and if you are searching for a common name it is sometimes difficult to ensure that you have the right record. Certificates are really essential if you are keen to trace your family backwards, and they are a source of addresses, maiden names, witness names, and occupations that you will not get elsewhere.

The FRC also holds census returns for the country on microfilm and some fiche, which are an Aladdin’s cave of family information IF you can find your family! You really need that combination of addresses on certificates and censuses to find the relevant information. It can be exceptionally difficult tracing families in London – I was told recently that in 1880 the average time a family lived at any specified address in Southwark was just four months, but if you are searching villages farther out, the search can be very rewarding in terms of finding extended families.

I would recommend having a more in depth look at the 1901 census. Unless you find someone who has already researched your family, and is willing to share it with you, there is always money involved – it’s a hobby like any other, and has costs involved. Ten pounds or so spent on the 1901 census may be well worth the cost – bear in mind that the cost of a single birth or marriage certificate is £7.

Have a look at GENUKI – it is the most comprehensive site for searchers new to family history, and will lead you on to many other resources, a lot of which are free, and a few that need to be paid for. Also consider Rootsweb mailing lists – someone else may already be researching your family or surname and have information they will share. The Church of Latter Day Saints [Mormons] have provided access to the 1881 Census on line, and also have filmed and made available details from a large number of English parish registers - their work has been invaluable to family history researchers.

GENUKI

Rootsweb Mailing Lists

Family Search [Church of Latter Day Saints]

Regards - Sue