Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oxford University Roll of Service

Anthony Pigott

I wonder whether anyone with the above would be kind enough to see if there's a mention of Lawford, HM

В., Capt. 9th R. Fusiliers?

Many Thanks

Anthony

The Oxford University RoH is I believe available online a Google search should find it.

The Oxford University RoH is I believe available online a Google search should find it.

All I can find is the published book: Oxford University Roll of Service By W M. Gibson, Edwin Stewart Craig, on Google Book Search which tells me that he's probably there on page 140 but won't show it!

Anthony

Anthony,

He is in the Oxford University Roll of Service

Oriel College LAWFORD, H.M.B.

Date of Matriculation 1905, BA obtained before the war, Commenced Service on October 29th, 1914. Captain 9th Royal Fusiliers. Served in France 1915 - 1916. Killed in Action near Flers on October 7th, 1916.

He is indeed on Page 140.

Andy

Andy

That's great. Thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Anthony

Andy

Can you look up a HHC Willimson for me please

Cheers

Anthony,

Had reason to go through a few of my School Rolls today and low and behold your man came up in "Wykehamists Who Died in the War 1914 - 1918" Volume 2

Captain Herbert Martin Menson Lawford (F., 1901-1905) was born on August 22nd, 1887 - son of Mr M. B. Lawford Esq., of Trewerw, Oswestry. He came to Winchester from Mortland House, Heswall, went up to Oriel College, Oxford, in 1905 and subsequently enetered the legal profession, becoming a partner in the firm of Longueville & Co., solicitors, Oswestry.

When war broke out he immediately volunteered and obtained a commission in the 9th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. He went to France in May 1915, served through the Battle of Loos and was wounded in March 1916 before the Hohenzollern Redoubt, near Hulluch. He returned to the Front a few months later and fell on October 7th of the same year, while leading his company to the attack near Gueudecourt.

Andy

Hi Ian,

Christ Church College

Matriculated 1912.

Williamson, H.H.C.

Lieutenant Coldstream Guards. Served in France. Kiiled in Action in the Battle of the Ancre on September 16th, 1916

cheers Andy

Anthony,

A present for you if you do not have a picture of Lawford. If you need a full size digital picture instead of a scan let me know.

Andy

post-1871-1168203835.jpg

do I get a present ? :P

:o Will check through my database Ian to see if I have him for you.

BUT, I do have a few Coldstreams you might be interested in

Ian,

drop me an e-mail, pm box full with RB enquiries. No Williamson as yet, but I do have to update my db.

Andy

Anthony,

Had reason to go through a few of my School Rolls today and low and behold your man came up in "Wykehamists Who Died in the War 1914 - 1918" Volume 2

Captain Herbert Martin Menson Lawford (F., 1901-1905) was born on August 22nd, 1887 - son of Mr M. B. Lawford Esq., of Trewerw, Oswestry. He came to Winchester from Mortland House, Heswall, went up to Oriel College, Oxford, in 1905 and subsequently enetered the legal profession, becoming a partner in the firm of Longueville & Co., solicitors, Oswestry.

When war broke out he immediately volunteered and obtained a commission in the 9th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers. He went to France in May 1915, served through the Battle of Loos and was wounded in March 1916 before the Hohenzollern Redoubt, near Hulluch. He returned to the Front a few months later and fell on October 7th of the same year, while leading his company to the attack near Gueudecourt.

Andy

Andy

That's super - thanks so much. Thanks again for the picture. In fact, I do have one photo., very similar, which is probably the original that the published one was taken from.

Regards

Anthony