Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching my Grandfather - RMLI

Verrinder Ian

My Grandfather served in the RMLI during the Great War and I'm lucky enough to have his medals and papers. Much to my shame I've carried out more research on his brother who was in the army. However, I'd like to redress the balance.

So, can anybody add anything to the details below. I'm particularly interested in knowing more about the ships he served on:

Cecil Roy Moon PO16752/B1420

Joined 11/02/13 first discharged 31/01/17

Re-joined 01/02/17 and discharged again 08/07/19

He served on HMS ALBERMARLE and family legend has it that he was in Russia teaching gunnery at some point. Most of the rest of his service is listed as President III (DAMS). I also know he served on the armed merchantman MACHAON, which was torpedoed and sunk off Tunisia on 27/02/18 (see photo)

The photo is inscribed on the back (left to right) G. Richard, B.D. Robinson and Cecil Roy Moon gunners of SS Machaon torpedoed 27 Feb 1918.

Regards,

Ian.

post-12148-1168029036.jpg

Ian,

On 27th February 1918 the SS Machaon, defensively armed, built 1899, 6,738 grt, was torpedoed by German submarine UC 27, in 38 40N, 10 35E, 50 miles NE¾N from Cani Rock, Tunisia, Mediterranean Sea. Voyage was Liverpool to Yokohama with general cargo. Owned by Holt, Alfred & Co (Blue Funnel Line) - Liverpool and managed by Ocean Steam Ship Co Ltd. No lives were lost.

Best wishes

David

Thanks very much for the replies.

Is anything known about the submarine, UC27, that sank the Machaon?

Regards,

Ian.

Michael,

That's great. I wouldn't have believed that there was a U-boat website if I hadn't seen myself!

Regards,

Ian.