Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reference Books

johnreed

I received a copy of this book today, it has a wealth of information in Canadian accomplishment and efforts in supplying artillery ammunition during the period 1914 to 1916.

John

Yes the book is pretty good and very well organized and illustrated. One of the greatest gaps in Canadian history still is understanding just how profound the war changed Canada and Canadians - the overnight creation of a welfare state, state interventions and controls of the economy, ....

John

I received a copy of this book today, it has a wealth of information in Canadian accomplishment and efforts in supplying artillery ammunition during the period 1914 to 1916.

John

John,

I'd be very grateful for any information the book may contain on Electro Metals Company Limited of Welland Ontario, which was my grandfather Emile Darte's company. I've recently received copies of correspondence between the company and the Canadian government to arrange for his return from the French Army. Apparently this plant supplied all of the ferrosillicon for the Commonwealth munitions production, and was, I think, the manufacturer of the greatest number of shrapnel shells in Canada.

I'd especially like to know if the book lists inspection marks for each company.

Thank you,

Michael

Off the top of my head no the book doesn't list inspection marks for this company. I will need a little time to look up the company and the book but can probably do it on Saturday (our Saturday!) :lol:

Michael

I quote " The largest number of shells made by any of the five machining and assembling companies was 180,000 by the Electric Steel Metals Co., of Welland". And I have no makers logo or stamp for this company.

John