Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Works Companys & Infantry Labour Coys?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Can someone tell me the fundamental difference between the 2?

I appreciate that Works Coys became HS Coys of the Labour Corps & ILCs became ordinary Coys of the Labour Corps - did they perform different tasks, were the medical categories different?

Ian

Ian

As with much of the Labour Corps there isn’t a simple answer because of the frequent changes made in 1916 – 1917. I have put a brief explanation below.

April 1916 saw the formation of Infantry Works Battalions for service at home as opposed to Labour Battalions for service overseas.

May 1916 B (ii) men to go to Labour Battalions for service abroad whereas C (ii) men will be organised as Infantry Works Battalions for service at home.

April 1917 Creation of the Labour Corps saw –

Home Service - Labour Companies formed from existing Infantry Works Companies

Overseas - Labour Companies formed from Infantry Labour Battalions and Infantry Labour Companies

June 1917 (Home Service) Labour Companies become (Home Service) Works Companies

were the medical categories different
- basically men in units at Home were medically lower than those overseas. Home service were supposed to be C men rather than B but as the war went on we know that some men were sent overseas who would not have been in 1917.

Ian

Yes and No - well you don't expect anything to do with the Labour Corps to be simple!

The men in the Corps were frequently examined to see if their medical category had changed so they could be posted to other units. This happened both in the UK and overseas with men being posted out of the Corps to front line units or to other units inside the LC e.g. from a labour company to an employment company as the latter generally had lower grade men.

At the same time I have come across men who served overseas despite being classifies in a UK only category.