Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can some one tell me what it all means !

GRACELAND

Sorry Did Dull on this Medal Card lark ,Can you tell me what this all means etc !!

post-2316-1168026292.jpg

Henry P Ballard

Overseas to France on 18th January 1915 as Private in Welsh Regiment. Promoted as far as Sgt.

Awarded 1914-15 Star. (10886 Pte. H. P. Ballard),

and Victory Medal and British War Medal (10866 Sgt. H. P. Ballard) x and dots refer to engraving for these medals.

Served after War, seemingly as a Private again in Welsh Regiment, serving in India, and awarded IGS (India General Service) Medal with clasp for Waziristan 1921-24.

1st Battalion returned from India and went abroad again in Janaury 1915, but he could just as easily have been a reinforcement for 2nd Battalion.

Steve.

Thank you Very Much Stevie

Can you say

What the long line of text says ???

Thanks for help

This bit :unsure:

post-2316-1168028102.jpg

Thank you Very Much Stevie

Can you say

What the long line of text says ???

Thanks for help

Steve has answered this: -

Served after War, seemingly as a Private again in Welsh Regiment, serving in India, and awarded IGS (India General Service) Medal with clasp for Waziristan 1921-24.

Regards

Hugh

By the way the medals were impressed and not engraved.

Thank's Both for that info Thanks

The reason i asked was ,, On another site someone said this So i was Just Checking !!!

always worth checking .. !!!

Quote,,From another site ,,

Henry Ballard of the welsh regiment went first to france/flanders on the 18-1-1915

he was a private, service number 10886, he later acheived the rank of sargeant

he was awarded 14-15 star (probably inscribed as private ballard)

and the british war and victory medals inscribed as sargeant

it looks as if he stayed in the army or re-joined and was given the army (7 figure) service number of 3948899 and was either busted down or enlisted as a private again

there is a # reference mark against the 7 fig s/n down to the comment 4 lines up from the bottom ( which i am struggling to read) and i would guess it is either a, an address 16 *******road or 19 ****r/welsh following thru that is a date range from 1921 - 1924 ( when he would have got his new army number

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

so what do i do next knowing this info ???

It is #IGS/?/WelchR/1-9 + Cl Waz 1921-1924

which translates to: -

India General service Medal, Welch Regt 1, page 9 and Clasp, Waziristan 1921-1924

This is the reference to the medal roll.

Regards

Hugh

Thanks Loads Hugh !

Hello I have been told ( See Below )From another site

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The date of issue for the IGSM on the MIC, 19/?/1924 to the 1st Battalion Welch Regiment. as this is the issue date if he was in the Army his records will still be with the MOD in Glasgow. However if you check the IGSM roll for his battalion in WO100 at kew it will tell you if he was in or out when he was issued the Medal.

The IGSM for Waziristan was going from 1919-1925 his medal & bar was between 21st Dec 1921-31st March 1924.

................................................................................

Please any one Going to Kew , Any chance of a look Please Please ;)