Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of Alexandria nurses?

eric e

This is a photo my grandfather sent back from Egypt. He spent some time in hospital [my father thinks in Alexandria]. Is it possible to identify where? Can anyone tell me what the medal is that the one nurse is wearing? If it is Alexandria why would the card be marked Heliopolis? I know questions questions questions but I've visited this site many times since joining, and am constantly amazed by the knowledge of its members, so hopefully someone can help. Finally don't you think the nurse sat on the chair with her hands around her knees has got the most caring face? post-17375-1168019851.jpg

Eric.

Eric

Heliopolis is a suburb of Cairo,a newish part during the Great War,having only been developed in 1905.

Thanks for the photo. You are right about the nurse. The medal is a bit small to identify. If you can blow it up (enlarge,I mean !) someone here may say what it is.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks sotonmate,

Did blow up medal seems, to be the letter P inside a ring. Thought i'd be clever and try and read the letters on the notice board 3200dpi scan :( Computer making horrible noises, windows sending down more memory, but had to abort.

Thanks again for the info on Heliopolis.

Eric.

Eric

An 'R' in the badge, rather than a 'P', for 'Reserve'. It's the badge worn by members of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve - those who served during wartime, rather than the regular service. I would assume that as the photo was taken in Cairo, then it's Cairo, rather than Alexandria, though it's quite likely that your grandfather could have been in hospital in both places.

The uniforms look rather different from the usual ones of the nursing service, as they are without capes, and with soft collars [in the main] in view of the warmer climate. The nurse you've taken a bit of a shine to has two scarlet stripes on her dress to signify she is a Sister, rather than a Staff Nurse. I would imagine that the badges of the other nurses are still in their rightful place on their capes, which they would have put on again to go off duty, or perhaps some didn't have them at that time - certainly right into 1917, the issue of badges never really caught up with the ever increasing number of nurses who needed them.

I find it a bit surprising that the officer at the back, who might have RAMC collar badges, has his hands on the shoulders of the nurse in front - a rather intimate pose for a formal-ish photo. Perhaps romance in the air :rolleyes:

Sue

I find it a bit surprising that the officer at the back, who might have RAMC collar badges, has his hands on the shoulders of the nurse in front - a rather intimate pose for a formal-ish photo. Perhaps romance in the air :rolleyes:

Sue

To the chagrin of the nurse seated far left?

Excellent photo Eric.

Eric/Sue

Or,as we have seen before here,a travelling photographer out making his living where he can !

Sotonmate

Sue/Kate/Sotonmate,

Just got back in from the gym. As I said at the beginning of the thread "costantly amazed by the knowledge of the members". I've studied this photo a lot and learnt nothing! Post it on the forum and I now see so much more. The service the nurses belonged to, where the photo was likely taken, and that my young nurse was a sister [i've always liked nurses, it's the uniform you know]. :rolleyes: As for the officer with his hands on the nurses shoulder, I would think she could assume it was grounds for an engagement at least. :D Am going to have another go at enlarging the notice board.

Thanks again.

Eric.