Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI Private served RND Antwerp and Dardanelles

ZimRich

Hi,

I was researching CH 18557 Pte O S Knight who served with the Chatham Division RMLI. He was awarded the 1914 star with bar which has been confirmed on the medal rolls. I have been told that he served in Antwerp and the Dardenelles, checking his service papers it states he enlisted 6th Aug 1914 at the Recruit depot and served in the RM Brigade from 13th Sept 1914-23 dec 1916 and was sent to the 2nd Field Ambulance RND 15.7.1915.

Also in his papers, under services forfeited it states cause as being ,'under age' and on his Casualty form he was returned to Base Depot in 1916 for being under age and For Service Afloat. Also his 1914 star was returned to the mint and a duplicate reissued in 1939.

Can anyone with a knowledge of the RM Brigade confirm his service at Antwerp and the Dardenelles and explain his under age status and return of his 1914 star.

Thanks for any help

Rich

Rich,

This is your man:

CHATHAM/18557; KNIGHT, OS; Enlisted 06/08/1914; Discharged to SHORT SERVICE; Date of birth 20/06/1897; Place of birth ISLINGTON

At the end of the war he was discharged to Short Service as CHATHAM/3473(S) and was demobilised shortly thereafter. This odd move was taken because when he enlisted at the very start of the war the Short Service option was not available to him (Short Service recruiting did not really get under way until mid-September 1914). Although, in theory, he had enlisted for 12 years Continuous Service from age 18, he was allowed to leave as if he had enlisted for the Duration of the War, as the Short Service men did.

His 'under-age' service (under the age of 18 - i.e. before 20/06/1915) was not "man's time" and did not count towards his 12 year obligation. It was not time 'forfeited' - it just did not count. I do not believe he was returned to Base Depot for being under-age in 1916 as he clearly was then over 18. He was transferred from the RND to sea service, where, I assume, he saw out the war.

He clearly did serve at Antwerp (1914 Star and Clasp - Chatham Bn RND) and at Gallipoli (for almost the entire campaign, it would appear).

The Fleet Air Arm Museum has two sets of documents (these will be attestations, conduct sheets, Army Form B.103, etc.) for Knight, under each of his two service numbers. They should give additional information. If you do not already have them apply to the FAAM.

His 1914 Star may have been incorrectly engraved and returned for re-issue.

H2

Further to my last, I now see that he had duplicate medals issued to HMS LOWESTOFT on 23 Nov 1923 and again on 7 May 1939. Perhaps he kept losing them! The re-issue to LOWESTOFT seems to indicate that he was still serving on that date. He may have re-enlisted in the 1920s to continue his service but I can find no trace of this in the Chatham Division records. He may have joined another division.

His original 1914 Star was issued to HMS PRESIDENT III, the pay base for Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS), on 25 Jul 1919. He did not get his clasp until 6 Feb 1940.