Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. G. Matthews

Northern Soul

Terry,

I don't think this man appears in the CWGC database:

117, Trooper Godfrey Matthews, 3rd S.A. Horse - died (presumably from natural causes) at Frankfort, O.F.S., on 9/11/18.

I have no idea how to progess this but the fleeting references to him that I have found all suggest he was "in uniform" when he died.

Andy.

He is listed on two local memorials (as a casualty) and his basic military details have been gleaned from the contemporary Roll of Honour held in Barrow Archive Office. The only other reference I have unearthed is;

ROLL OF HONOUR.

MATTHEWS.- In loving memory of dear Godfrey, of the E.A. Forces, who died at Frankfort, South Africa, November 9th, 1918.

“Never forgotten by mother and brother.”

-: Barrow News, Saturday, November 8, 1919; page 16.

Andy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit off topic but I saw the reference to Frankfort and decided to impart this -

That's a funny co-incidence. I'm transcribing the Canterbury Boer War Memorial in Dane John Gardens at Canterbury and the place name of FRANKFORT keeps cropping up. I understand that during the Boer War (1899-1902) the Buffs were garisoned at Frankfort in the Transvaal South Africa.

This is the link I am working on with Dave Hughes. Update will be uploaded soon -

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/CanterburyBoer.html

• 10 months later...
Bit off topic but I saw the reference to Frankfort and decided to impart this -

That's a funny co-incidence. I'm transcribing the Canterbury Boer War Memorial in Dane John Gardens at Canterbury and the place name of FRANKFORT keeps cropping up. I understand that during the Boer War (1899-1902) the Buffs were garisoned at Frankfort in the Transvaal South Africa.

This is the link I am working on with Dave Hughes. Update will be uploaded soon -

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/CanterburyBoer.html

Hi all,

Wanted to put this up at the top again. Ordered his service file, and to say that the SA files are sparse is an understatement.

Can Northern Soul PM or email me and I'll forward what I have if he forwards to me what he has.

Ralph McLean

www.southafricawargraves.org

ralph@southafricawargraves.org