Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Cressy

J T Gray

I realise this is off-topic, but I think it can just about claim enough relevance to be worth asking here.

A distant rellie has found an ancestor associated with the HMS Cressy of 1850. However his efforts to research her online (he has limited mobility, so the web is his main source at the mo) just keep running into the one sunk in 1914.

Can anyone offer ay useful pointers?

Adrian

Hello Adrian

This is possibly the one you are after

CRESSY Screw 3rd Rate 80. 2.539bm, 198 x 55ft. 66-32pdr. Chatam DY 21.7.1853. Sold 1867 Castle & Beech.

From 'Ships of the Royal Navy' by J.J. Colledge

Regards

John

Date looks right, John, thank you. Anything more or just those bare facts?

Adrian

Adrian,

I can't get John's link so I may be duplicating. Try www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/royal.htm for details.

Best wishes

David

HMS Cressy 1853-1867 was a wooden walled ship (like those of the Napoleonic era) ordered as a sailing ship, but converted to sail and steam while she was still being built. Served in the Baltic 1854-55 - this was a theatre in what is known as the Crimean War.

From David Lyon and Rif Winfield, 'The Sail and Steam Navy List' (ISBN: 1861760329) plus Capt T D Manning and Cdr C F Walker, 'British Warship Names' (Putnam, London, 1959)

Wild googling (and I mean wild - furious) before bedtime brings up (after some selective searching and deep delving) the following :

John BROWN, died February 1860, of Deal, Kent. 2nd Class boy, HMS Cressy

George F. BURGESS, died 10th February 1860, aged 33 years. Commander, Royal Navy, of HMS Cressy

I'm not sure of the connection yet but it certainly indicates to me some action in February 1860. This is the first find for me of the Cressy pre 1914 sinking (for some reason I had 1864 in mind). Maybe it's still a tentative link - could of been a drunken fight or sickness for all I know. I'll look further .... but not tonight. Any advance or starter for ten ?

Adrian

A Royal Review of the Baltic Fleet took place on St. George's Day,Wednesday 23 April, 1856 at Spithead. HMS Cressy was fourth in line of the screw ships which sailed past the Royal Yacht.

Dave

Thank you gentlemen, a great start I reckon. I'll get copies of all this posted off, and see whather he has any specific questions!

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Moreon the H.M.S. Cressey can be found in "Battleships in Transition" Andrew Lambert. See also The British Assault on Finnland 1854-1855" Basil Greenhill and Ann Giffard.