Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment

stephendixon

Currently researching realtive 12818 Robert Wetherill Townson 9DWR(West Riding). He died on 02/03/1916 and from research, I guess this was during action at The Bluff? Could anyone confirm this please? I am also requesting help researching his Battalion from origins through to the time of his death. Has anybody visited the museum in Halifax -is it a good souce of information?

soldiers died confirms killed in action (born and lived addingham, yorks)

9th btn to france/flanders 16/7/15 and stayed for the duration

There is a history book that might be useful: “History of the 17th Northern Division.” A Hillard Atteridge. 1929.

I had a copy a few years back from the inter-library loan service.

Tony.

Currently researching realtive 12818 Robert Wetherill Townson 9DWR(West Riding). He died on 02/03/1916 and from research, I guess this was during action at The Bluff? Could anyone confirm this please? I am also requesting help researching his Battalion from origins through to the time of his death. Has anybody visited the museum in Halifax -is it a good souce of information?

Cheers Bob, not the most talked about action - any ideas where to go next?

soldiers died confirms killed in action (born and lived addingham, yorks)

9th btn to france/flanders 16/7/15 and stayed for the duration

Thanks, much appreciated

There is a history book that might be useful: “History of the 17th Northern Division.” A Hillard Atteridge. 1929.

I had a copy a few years back from the inter-library loan service.

Tony.

Thanks Tony -I'll get looking. I think it might be a long task!! Appreciated

The library can order it in on loan for you for two or three pounds; you will have it for three weeks, long enough to extract anything of interest. When I ordered it I think Huddersfield had it sent up from Colchester.

Tony.

Hello,

I don't know whether you are aware but there is a Ben Townson, DWR, of Addingham who was killed in action on 02/03/1916 in Craven's Part in the Great War (photo page 123). Is this the same man or possibly a relative ? Addingham also has a Website with details of the War Memorial. The 9th Battalion, a Kitchener's Battalion, recruited from the Keighley/ Ilkley area. It is some considerable time since I visited the Regimental HQ in Halifax (Pellon Barracks), they have all the War Diaries and a good photographic Archive. They have a good Website. I'm not sure what research facilities they have at the museum in Halifax, but they have a good display of the history of the Regiment but little, if anything on the New Army Battalions.

Regards

Ron

Hello,

I don't know whether you are aware but there is a Ben Townson, DWR, of Addingham who was killed in action on 02/03/1916 in Craven's Part in the Great War (photo page 123). Is this the same man or possibly a relative ? Addingham also has a Website with details of the War Memorial. The 9th Battalion, a Kitchener's Battalion, recruited from the Keighley/ Ilkley area. It is some considerable time since I visited the Regimental HQ in Halifax (Pellon Barracks), they have all the War Diaries and a good photographic Archive. They have a good Website. I'm not sure what research facilities they have at the museum in Halifax, but they have a good display of the history of the Regiment but little, if anything on the New Army Battalions.

Regards

Ron

Thanks Ron. Ben is the same as Robert Wetherill Townson. I have never got to the bottom of why the name Ben appears. It could just be a local name or regimental name given to him. To confuse matters further in the local press cuttings he is referred to as Roland!! Who Knows why!

Cheers for you comments, Stephen