Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monitor M33 - HMS Minerva

michaeldr

Paddy has raised a query with me and as I am short of a complete answer for him I wonder if any other Pal can help us out.

Does anyone have the Hants C.C. booklet "His Majesty's Monitor M33, 1915-2001" or any other source giving information on M33's service after the evacuation of Gallipoli in January 1916?

I understand that she stayed on station in the Dardanelles as part of the blockade and took part in various bombardments of the Turkish coast, before transferring to the Salonika front.

Any further information on the bombardments of the Turkish coast or the date when M33 was transferred to Salonika would be appreciated.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Bill,

Many thanks for that useful link confirming M33 entered the Salonika theatre 1st Sept '16

Does anyone have any more details on the period mid-January to end August 1916?

Regards,

Michael D.R.

Hi Mike,

I work within a stones throw of M33 so could take a digital photo of it if you need one. I can probably get access to the Pamphlet you were on about in the RN Museum or alternatively I could buy a copy if you want as they sell them in the VICTORY gift shop. Let me know :)

Jolly Jack,

Very many thanks for your generous offer, but as far as I know from Paddy he does not need any pics at the moment; if the situation changes then one of us will be in contact

I keep meaning to get over to Pompey on one of my visits home but some how can never fit it in. I was last there as a nipper in 1957 having a look over HMS Victory with my grandad;

ah, happy days

Thanks again for your kind offer

Michael D.R.

Jolly Jack,

Very many thanks for your generous offer, but as far as I know from Paddy he does not need any pics at the moment; if the situation changes then one of us will be in contact

Jay Jay

Am relaying Message from Paddy.

Would appreciate photo of brass plaque depicting her actions. From memory about 4 inches square, on pedestal between her & Victory.

No Problem, will get it this week (w/c 15 Dec) if it is still there. E mail me the address you want the digi photo to go to as I have yet to suss out how to get a picture on this site!!

• 3 weeks later...

Bombadier,

Many thanks for the Portsmouth News link re. M33. Recently I saw an article from the Daily Express on this topic. It mentioned the funding problem and that the ship could be sold abroad “because it is becoming a burden on local taxpayers”. I was interested to see that the funding was as small a sum as £1m and concerned to read that bureaucratic difficulties could be the stumbling block to Lottery funding – neither of which points were in the Express article. Surely this is a case where bureaucracy needs to be cut through so that the Heritage Lottery Fund can do something imaginative to preserve this aspect of our naval heritage. M33 needs to be kept in Portsmouth as part of the collection of Historic Ships.

Best wishes,

David

• 1 month later...

Lincoln,

Many thanks for the e-mail regarding M33’s activities with the

Smyrna Patrol and 4th Detached Squadron during May 1916

I have forwarded a copy to Paddy

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Michael D.R.