Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card Information

rayhannan

Many thanks to those who helped me yesterday with the attached medal card. I have a couple of other questions:

1 Is the regiment number (493581) the service number I would use to find other records, eg his war service? Is there anything significant about the number as he was from Northumberland yet was serving in the London Regiment?

2 Below that number is the number 7627. Any ideas about what that refers to?

Thanks in anticipation.

post-18025-1167930723.gif

Hello Ray

The Mic does reveal some interesting information.

The enlistment was in late 1915 as a volunteer and would, therefore, have fallen within the Derby Scheme pending the introduction of conscription.

There is nothing unusual about being from Northumberland and serving in a London regiment. When conscription was introduced the Reserve sceme operated whereby the conscripts were trained in the Reserves and then allocated to a Battalion on a needs basis upon there arrival in F& F.

The six figure number does suggest that your man entered the theatre of war in 1917 rather than 1916. he could have been there for Arras and certainly Passchendaele.

The dealy between voluntary enlistment and being called up may have been occupation related?

Do follow through on the suggestions about the SWB and medals Rolls.

Regards

Mel

Hello Ray

I have hust had a look at the TF renumbering article on the main site:

http://www.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_infantry.htm

and the 13th London were allocated the range of 490001-510000 so the 493581 looks like a renumbering.

The 7627 appears to be the original number but it does seem to be very low for a September 1915 volunteer.

I am out of my depth on this one.

Regards

Mel

He is a volunteer not a Derby Scheme man. That did not come in until 21 October 1915. He seems to have gone straight into the 13th Londons, but why - goodness only knows. 7627 is not low for a TF battalion even by September 1915. Both numbers would be useful if you sewarch for his records at Kew.

He is a volunteer not a Derby Scheme man. That did not come in until 21 October 1915. He seems to have gone straight into the 13th Londons, but why - goodness only knows. 7627 is not low for a TF battalion even by September 1915. Both numbers would be useful if you sewarch for his records at Kew.

Did the London Regiment have any connections with any Ulster regiments? His father was from Ulster.

I think his pre-1917 number was 4446.

Steve.