Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMT DANE

Terence Munson

Hello, I've had an enquiry via my website for any information on a former Grimsby sea fishing apprentice who was one of the casualties when HMT 'Dane' was lost 28/8/1915. I cannot seem to find much detail on the vessels loss. Can anyone help?

Cheers Terry

On 28th August 1915, Hired Trawler, Adm No 1446, Patrol vessel Dane, 265 tons, was mined and sunk. Mine laid by UC 6 1 mile NW from North Alderburgh Napes Buoy, North Sea. 5 crew casualties.

Best wishes

David

Dane taken up from Hull registered as H227.

Regards Charles

Charles

There were two DANE's, both built in 1915, H227 survived to 1954 and G947 was the one that David's post refers to.

Regards

John

John,

Thanks for that, one must have been Dane II?

Regards Charles

Charles

It was Dane H227 that was renamed Dane 11 in June 1915. 1919 returned to owners and reverted to origanal name.

Regards

John

Thanks everyone for your contributions, the extra detail helps to give a more rounded explanation for the loss of the ’Dane’ just one of so many ships lost in similar circumstances. The only brief ‘one liner’ I had was from Boswell’s 'Lost list of Grimsby Vessels 1800 - 1960':28 Aug. 1915 DANE (S.T. 265) Mined off Aldeburgh in Admiralty Service.

The casualty I’m researching is James William Seddon Pretious RNR. He and his brother George Pretious, born in Sculcoates, Hull, were orphans at an early age. Like so many from orphanages around the country in the late 1800s, they were sent to Grimsby to become sea fishing apprentices. James signed indentures on 20th July 1886, his brother signed earlier, 22nd Jan. 1884.

Cheers Terry

This is your man Terry,

PRETIOUS, JAMES W. ENGINEMAN, RNR, E S 2795, DANE, 28/08/2015, SHIP LOSS.

Best wishes

David

Thanks David - Should you ever need any information from the North East Lincolnshire Archives, please let me know.

Cheers Terry

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I visited the graveyard of SS Peter & Paul in Aldeburgh and was intrigued to find a gravestone for one of HMT Dane's crewmen. The inscription reads:

J.H. Carradice served as

J. Wilson

Seaman RNR 7929/A

H.M. Trawler "Dane"

28th August 1915

Does anyone know the story behind this seaman who served as under an assumed name?

Thanks

Harper

post-17542-1228054909.jpg