Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another pronunciation quandary

Will O'Brien

You may all recall a thread from a couple of weeks ago examining the proper pronunciation of Ypres. I was listening to a commentary today when Loos was mentioned. I have (probably in my ignorance) always pronounced this as ‘Lose’ (as in not to win). The commentator pronounced it as ‘Loose’ (as in I forgot to put a belt on so my trousers are loose).

Would anyone care to comment as I am determined to shake off my ‘Englishman abroad’ image.

'Loose' is the pronunciation that seems to be in vogue at the moment with battlefield guides, Richard Holmes etc. I am sure that at one time people, including the veteran I visited the site with on a WFA tour many years ago, pronounced it simply as the plural of 'Loo', i.e 'Lose'. Perhaps it's become a bit like astronomers desperately putting the emphasis on the first syllable of 'Uranus'. I missed the repeat of the Great War episode on the battle. How did Sir Michael Redgrave and any interviewed veterans pronounce it?

The correct French pronunciation is lo:s (a long o without the w-sound).

Jan

How did Sir Michael Redgrave and any interviewed veterans pronounce it?

I am certain that no Tommy would have said "lo:s" rather than "Loos".

These were the people that gave us "Wipers", "White Sheet", and "Little ****** Beak"

How did Sir Michael Redgrave and any interviewed veterans pronounce it?

These were the people that gave us "Wipers", "White Sheet", and "Little ****** Beak"

Looks as if my last post did not pass the censor.

What I wrote was the Tommies argot for "Lekker Botter Beke"

• 1 year later...

In Robert Kearney's book "Silent Voices: The story of the 10th Battalion AIF in Australia, Egypt, Gallipoli, France and Belgium during the Great War 1914-1918", Robert Kearney states that:

the Aussies coined the term "Wipers" for 2 reasons: 1. they couldn't pronounce Ypres, and 2. they could't spell Ypres.

I am sure some Tommies would disagree?

Robbie B)

Roop

My French godmother, when asked, pronounced it Loss. (she is originally from Arras)

Andy

Max, I ahve no doubt you are correct in your pronunciation of Luwzh (northern twang)

Roop

• 3 weeks later...

While we're on the subject of pronunciation, I read somewhere recently that Aussie troops (and I'm sure UK as well) affectionately referred to the town of Albert as 'Bert'. This obviously suggests they said 'Al-BERT' (as in the man's name) and not 'Al-BEAR' (as in the correct French pronunciation).

As I type this, I've thought of another example: Armentieres being pronounced 'Ar-men-teers', as per the famous song. I'm sure there are hundreds more.

Conversely, the slang terms for Mouquet Farm, 'Mucky' Farm and 'Moo-cow' Farm, both suggest the correct French pronunciation ('Moo-kay') was commonly used.

Not sure if any of this means anything, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Cheers,

Mat

Since we have drifted more generally onto Tommy's pronunciation of things foreign, here are a couple of examples from the Somme near Grandcourt where the original German trench names were taken over and given a twist. 'Boom Ravine' began life as 'Baum Mulde', meaning 'Tree Gully' and 'Desire Trench', of all wierd battlefield appellations, came from 'Dessauer Graben', meaning 'Dessau Trench'. Dessau is a medium sized town betwen Magdeburg and Leipzig and in German, with few exceptions, adjectives are produced from place names by adding 'er' to the name.

Jack

In that wonderful 1934 documentary Forgotten Men, both the presenter Sir John Hammerton and Piper Laidlaw VC refer to it as Looze.

Rich.

Pronunciation; the British are especially good at mispronouncing words in most languages and it is a national art form and institution.

One though has always puzzled me. White sheet - I should have thought that your average Tommy, especially the Londoners, would have pronounced it with the second syllable rhyming with the first - if you get my drift.

I am sitting in a French Bank in London surrounded by linguistically ignorant Brits (e.g. me) and linguistically brilliant French colleagues.

The opinion amongst them seems to be that the nearest way of pronouncing Loos is "Loss, but with a closed elongated o, i.e. Lows".

I didn't even know what a closed elongated o was...

We also have linguistically brilliant Brits, but they all work in Paris, Madrid, Milan, Frankfurt.......

Pronunciation; the British are especially good at mispronouncing words in most languages and it is a national art form and institution.

One though has always puzzled me. White sheet - I should have thought that your average Tommy, especially the Londoners, would have pronounced it with the second syllable rhyming with the first - if you  get my drift.

Hello Malcolm

My Godmother has lived in California for many years now and has developed a singular accent, very similar to a female "Fronk the wedding planner" character out of "Father of the Bride" starring Steve Martin.

Lovely lady though

Andy

institution.

One though has always puzzled me. White sheet - I should have thought that your average Tommy, especially the Londoners, would have pronounced it with the second syllable rhyming with the first - if you  get my drift.

That's how I still pronounce it today :lol:

Whenever out and about in France and Belgium any conversation oppotunity with the locals will centre around the local pronunciation of wherever. I always thought Ginchy was pronounced with a hard G... not so says Jonny Frenchman...Jenshee is the French way.

Steve

(a bonus point for the correct pronunciation of Reims!)